Help please, is this Fowl Pox?

NDgoatgirlNV

Songster
5 Years
Jul 1, 2015
Ivins, Utah 84738
My Coop
My Coop
I rescued a Cornish cross rooster yesterday and when I asked the previous owner about the black marks on his comb, she said it might have been from the other birds picking on him..he is 14 weeks old and HUGE! I've been so paranoid about keeping my flock disease free, I'm just wondering if what I am seeing might be fowl pox....and if it is, is he safe to cull and process for the freezer? I thought I had read somewhere that fowl pox is NOT zoonotic.

Please pardon the bad pictures, I am at work and my daughter was taking the pictures.

I'll post better ones when I get home tonight.

IMG_20170602_141906.jpg
IMG_20170602_141849.jpg

That looks like just wounds on the comb from either other chickens or him rubbing his comb on something. I have a couple rosters that have those sometimes. It's not fowl pox - that looks different, like spots, that sometimes merge (more round), and usually raised. It's not bad to my eye.

That looks like just wounds on the comb from either other chickens or him rubbing his comb on something. I have a couple rosters that have those sometimes. It's not fowl pox - that looks different, like spots, that sometimes merge (more round), and usually raised. It's not bad to my eye.

Well Thank goodness, He is getting processed this evening only because it's the most humane thing to do...his toes are broken I'm guessing from how much he weighs and he has a really hard time breathing.... I feel so bad for the big guy...
Thank you @Fire Ant Farm

Well Thank goodness, He is getting processed this evening only because it's the most humane thing to do...his toes are broken I'm guessing from how much he weighs and he has a really hard time breathing.... I feel so bad for the big guy...
Thank you @Fire Ant Farm

You are welcome. But if it was fowl pox (which you will probably have to deal with sooner or later if you keep chickens), you can still process them for human consumption - not a problem.

Here's a photo of one of my roosters with some mild fowl pox on his comb. They start as raised and yellow, then turn black. Mosquitos pass it around, and I had a bad year with them last year.

DumbleSpur.JPG

I think my main concern was the kind of whitish spot in the first picture towards the rear of his comb... Ill try to get a better pic of it when I get home tonight... but you're right, the other black spots do not look like what your roo had at all.

Back
Top Bottom