HELP PLEASE: Lethargic, Sick Chicken Showing Several Symptoms

Nbugaj

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2018
Hi All,

I need some help! One of my chickens has shown several different symptoms in a progression over the last few days. Below is info, I have been researching everything under the sun and I cannot figure out what she has. I don't want to over treat her for the wrong thing. Advice is much appreciated!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Ellie is a 2 year old Silver-Laced Wydotte. She is on the smaller size and I believe had a respiratory infection when she was much younger before I got her that stunted her growth. She is one of my smallest chickens.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Tuesday this week I went out to the enclosed run to feed the chickens, etc. and Ellie was still in the coop on her roost. I picked her up and brought her outside. She sort of walked around a bit and then sat herself back down on the dirt. I knew something was wrong. I brought her inside into a "chicken hospital dog crate". Mind you Ellie broke her leg about a month and a half ago and she was crated for a few weeks and slowly made her way back out into the coop. Her leg is basically fully recovered now, but I am guessing this may have weakened her immune system and made her more susceptible.
Once I brought Ellie inside, I checked her crop (this is AM so should have been empty) it felt like it still had food in it as well as water balloon-y, sour crop feeling. I lost a bird last year to crop impaction so I removed all food and and provided only pro-biotic water. I treated for sour-crop with a couple different natural mixtures- fennel seed extract and a formula of cayenne lemon juice, cinnamon etc. that is listed in an article on this website. The next day her crop was no longer water balloon-y, just slightly impacted. So I cleared the sour crop. I next worked to clear the impaction, which was very small. Some olive oil and massage as well as tube feeding to insure she was staying hydrated & getting some nutrients because her poop has basically been all diarrhea (watery, yellow & white with bits of brown). The next day her crop was cleared. Her poops started to get a little bit more solid. I thought I was in the clear, kept monitoring her but put her out on the roost at night. Checked on her in the morning and she was still lethargic. Brought her back in and monitored her behavior, food intake, water, and stool. She would eat a little and drink a little. Tube fed her again a bit as she was showing signs of dehydration. Yesterday and today she started having more "solid" poops, but by that I mean she still has watery white/yellow diarrhea, but now she is also pooping brown partially digested poop with pieces of corn and other undigested feed in it. She is still lethargic and is basically spending most of her time sleeping. She is eating a bit more, but again her food is passing undigested. I suspected maybe round worms and have put round worm treatment in her water the last two days. She hasn't seems to make any drastic improvements. This morning when I went to check on her and bring her back in from her time out, she was again lethargic and sitting on the ground. She was rapidly shaking her head at times almost like a spasm and had started to do some gaping/yawning. I looked up gape worm, round worm, and some different fungal infections. Nothing seems to fit all of her different symptoms. I don't want to keep treating her for different things she may not have and compromise her system even more while she is already weak. I have taken chickens to the vet before, but the vets in my area aren't livestock vets and rarely know what to do. I end up wasting my money and have lost birds anyways from mis-diagnosis or just guessing from the vet. Any advice would be so helpful!

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since Tuesday, and her symptoms have changed slightly, please see above.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
All of my other birds are fine, no symptoms. Happy and healthy as far as I can tell.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not sure, I am wondering if the feed I have is old or contaminated? It is not affecting my other birds, but since she already had a weakened immune system from broken leg I am wondering if it is affecting her. There has been small black insects in the last two bags I bought. When I looked it up, sounded like it could be weevils from old feed? I am planning to replace feed tomorrow.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating and drinking partially on her own, but also I have been tube feeding her baby bird mixture with water to ensure she is hydrated because what she has been eating has been passing undigested and has been minimal overall. I have also offered some wet oatmeal and grit.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is runny diarrhea like, yellow/whitish part diarrhea and rest is brown, but mixture of wet brown and undigested food now.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
See above for description. First treated for sour crop, cleared. Then impaction, cleared. A de-wormer that kills round rooms, tape worms, pin, hook, and whip in the last two days. Tube feeding to keep her hydrated.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat myself, I have had poor experience with the only bird vet in my area and they do not have good knowledge of chickens and have basically just guessed the last two times I've brought chickens in and spent $1-200+ dollars.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Stool picture attached is of the towel I removed from her hospital crate from earlier today and late yesterday. Matter is drier in picture, but white/yellow part comes out as very wet diarrhea typically.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is in a dog crate as hospital with a towel, clean water, and food now in a quiet place inside. Allowing her to roost at night with fellow flock mates.

Thank you for your help!!!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 58
Sorry about hour hen. The yellow in her droppings looks like either yellow urates, that can be a sign of liver disease, or egg matter from egg yolk peritonitis. Liver disease can be from cancer, fatty liver disease, infection, and may also be seen in egg yolk peritonitis or coccidiosis.

When there has been a respiratory disease—infectious bronchitis early in life, it can affect the the reproductive organs and kidneys. Many times we never know the true cause for some of the symptoms that we see until after a death, when we can do a necropsy.

Crop problems can be possible with reproductive disorders, or on their own.

Getting a sample of her droppings checked for parasites and enteritis might be good to help diagnose her. But if vet care is lacking, sometimes we have to go ahead and treat for worms as you did, or treat for coccidiosis with amprollium or treat enteritis. Offer her some water, cooked egg, wet chicken feed, and vitamins may help as well. I will check back again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sorry about hour hen. The yellow in her droppings looks like tither yellow urates that can be a sign of liver disease or egg matter from egg yolk peritonitis. Liver disease can be from cancer, fatty liver disease, infection, and may also be seen in egg yolk peritonitis or coccidiosis.

When there has been a respiratory disease—infectious bronchitis early in life, it can affect the the reproductive organs and kidneys. Many times we never know the true cause for some of the symptoms that we see until after a death, when we can do a necropsy.

Crop problems can be possible with reproductive disorders, or on their own.

Getting a sample of her droppings checked for parasites and enteritis might be good to help diagnose her. But if vet care is lacking, sometimes we have to go ahead and treat for worms as you did, or treat for coccidiosis with amprollium or treat enteritis. Offer her some water, cooked egg, wet chicken feed, and vitamins may help as well. I will check back again tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help! I have checked for egg binding, she is not and there is no broken shell etc in there that I could feel. Could she still have egg yolk peritonitis?
Is it likely since she is also gaping and head shaking at times that she has that?

I am thinking it’s either fungal or gape worm. My concern is she is already in poor health and I have worked for round worms. Will worming her for gape worms if that’s not what it is further deteriorate her?

I had purchased some Monistat when she had sour crop the first time, but didn’t end up needing to use it. Should I use this if it’s fungal or is that only going to eliminate a yeast fungus?

There is a tractor supply store in my area so I can pick something up. I just don’t want to worsen her condition by applying the wrong thing and any advice on which one to proceed with first would be awesome!

She is still alive this morning, she is drinking a bit. She is still very lethargic and will only stand briefly to drink etc.

The rapid shaking of her head sound a bit like a neurological symptom. Does it look like she is trying to adjust her crop, or shaking mucus from her beak? Occasionally, people will post YouTube videos of their chickens having a type of spasmodic movement of the neck back and forth that is a thpe of seizure or neurologic symptom.

We may not know if they have egg yolk peritonitis until after death when we can do a necropsy to look at the abdominal organs. I do not have vet care available for my chickens, so I do a necropsy whenever one dies. Manny times when I have had a hen with a crop disorder, there was an underlying problem such as internal laying, cancer, or ascites.

Here is a good article about egg yolk peritonitis:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/egg-peritonitis

Since you have nystatin, that is very good to use if you are seeing sour crop symptoms. Here is a good article about sour and impacted crop treatment:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The head shaking has only happened periodically as well as the gaping. It could be in an effort to adjust her crop since she’s just been sitting/sleeping. She is still very much alive, comb is not pale. I am tube feeding so she stays hydrated and has nutrients, gave her a bit of hard boiled egg this morning which she pecked at and ate some of. She is just very lethargic. She still has a fight in her when I go for tube feeding so she hasn’t given up. I guess my big question is as I mentioned before, I’m thinking it could be fungal or worms. It could also be Coccidiosis or enteritis as you mentioned. When I checked her throat for gape worms yesterday I couldn’t see that well with head lamp, but didn’t seem to be anything in there. I guess I’m just wondering on eliminating those three (fungus, coccidiosis, enteritis) which is best to treat for first?

I should also note I have four other hens and they all were/are eating the same feed and water and have no symptoms whatsoever. Are happy and healthy.

Again, thank you for your insights!

You really cannot see gapeworms in the throat, but they will show up in a fecal float. You can treat for gapeworms by giving SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Panacur horse paste, 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. Gapeworms are around in tropical regions, but more rare than some worms in chickens. Treating for them won’t hurt though. Respiratory diseases are more common.

Chickens with gapeworms cannot usually eat or drink because of the difficulty of trying to breathe. Gapeworm also can look like Newcastles disease and vice versa. Here is a video of suspected gapeworm in a hen:

Chickens with gapeworms cannot usually eat or drink because of the difficulty of trying to breathe. Gapeworm also can look like Newcastles disease and vice versa. Here is a video of suspected gapeworm in a hen:

She seems to be able to eat and drink okay. Are there other instances in which a chicken would be gaping? In my research I’ve only heard of that happening with gape worms or in adjusting crop. I will get some of that today and treat in case that is it. I guess process of elimination? I’m located in Austin TX, so we aren’t tropical...they being said we have had an unusually wet and warm spring/summer so far. We are already in the 90s+ with very high humidity this whole June (which is unusually) and it feels a little tropical outside ha!

Back
Top Bottom