HELP PLEASE: Lethargic, Sick Chicken Showing Several Symptoms

I have had chickens gape during hot weather. Especially a large brahma hen who gaped all of the time in summer and held her wings out from her body. The overweight girls have a tendency to do this.

Good to know! She was gaping and head shaking more when I let her into the run briefly, but she’s actually in my house right now in climate control 73 AC because I knew she’d already be dehydrated from the diarrhea and I didn’t want the heat to get her. So I don’t think that’s it in this instance, but I’ll keep that in mind if my other chickens ever do that I the heat! Makes sense.

I have had chickens gape during hot weather. Especially a large brahma hen who gaped all of the time in summer and held her wings out from her body. The overweight girls have a tendency to do this.

Ok spent my morning running around collecting different supplies for process of elimation. Spoke with feedstore and they told me to try copper sulphate first. I read on another post you said 1/4 tsp per gallon? Is that the correct dosage. I don’t want to improperly dose and kill her. Let me know! Again, thank you for sharing all your knowledge!

Good to know! She was gaping and head shaking more when I let her into the run briefly, but she’s actually in my house right now in climate control 73 AC because I knew she’d already be dehydrated from the diarrhea and I didn’t want the heat to get her. So I don’t think that’s it in this instance, but I’ll keep that in mind if my other chickens ever do that I the heat! Makes sense.

Just to update anyone who may use this later as advice as well as get feedback on what I should do now. Ellie is still alive. It’s been about a week and a half since I brought her inside. I treated her with 1/4 tsp of cooper sulfate in the water for the last 5 days (Saturday- Wednesday). She seems to be showing signs of improvement, she has more fight in her when I tube feed or pick her up. Her tail is perked up a bit more. She has had a few more solid looking poops, thought she is also still have diahrrea as well. She is not fully eating on her own yet though she will peck and nibble at things, but not enough to keep her nutrient up/hyrdration so I’m choosing to still tube feed. I am trying to decide what to do next.

I have switched her water now to entiterly probiotic and electrolyte. No more copper sulfate as 5 days is the max I’ve read. I am going to give her another day on just this and hope she did have some fungal or yeast infection that’s been cleared and now she needs to build up her healthy biome. However, if for some reason she does not continue to improve and have more consistent solid poops and eat/drink on her own. Should I treat with Tylan 50 for three days to see if there is some kind of bacterial infection instead? I don’t want to use the antibiotic and knock out her healthy system she is trying to build back up...but if in fact she is still struggling with something I also don’t want to just sit around waiting to see. Any thought? Should I wait more than a day? Should I just treat her with Tylan? Advice appreciated and updated stool pictures attached.

Attachments

• 7C1E1A18-A1F2-4532-9A96-D680F438D8A1.jpeg
    7C1E1A18-A1F2-4532-9A96-D680F438D8A1.jpeg
    651 KB · Views: 6
  • 92BE2852-FE38-4ADA-B0FE-2D4436ED45F6.jpeg
    92BE2852-FE38-4ADA-B0FE-2D4436ED45F6.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom