Help please - one of my chick just died

morsekathan

Crowing
13 Years
May 12, 2011
Maryland
Help,
I have a nice brooder and today we changed out the paper towels and put sand in. Everyone looked fine. I have them in my study with me and I was just writing a nice blog post about how happy they were and then I looked over and one of the chicks was dead. They are 7 days old, eating medicated feed and seemed to be fine. Really fine. Any ideas? We put them back in the brooder with the sand and they were in there about an hour. They were eating and drinking after they went in and pecking at the sand. We gave them a little cheese which they liked.

They were out of the brooder for a hour maybe, but they were warm and the brooder was 92 degrees when we put them back. It's 5 feet by 3 feet.

Any ideas?
Sarah

Help,
I have a nice brooder and today we changed out the paper towels and put sand in. Everyone looked fine. I have them in my study with me and I was just writing a nice blog post about how happy they were and then I looked over and one of the chicks was dead. They are 7 days old, eating medicated feed and seemed to be fine. Really fine. Any ideas? We put them back in the brooder with the sand and they were in there about an hour. They were eating and drinking after they went in and pecking at the sand. We gave them a little cheese which they liked.

They were out of the brooder for a hour maybe, but they were warm and the brooder was 92 degrees when we put them back. It's 5 feet by 3 feet.

Any ideas?
Sarah
It just happens--baby chicks die sometimes and you really never know why. You are doing good and try not to worry about the rest. Keep us posted.

We are having a hard time processing this. One minute all running around and so beautiful, next minute one was dead. I didn't actually realize the chick was dead and I called my daughter in to look at how cute she was lying down looking like she was dead. I never dreamed that she was actually dead. Pretty traumatic for my daughter. And we are worried about the rest now. It not our first time with chickens, but our first time with a brooder.

Last edited:
We are having a hard time processing this. One minute all running around and so beautiful, next minute one was dead. I didn't actually realize the chick and I called my daughter in to look at how cute she was lying down looking like she was dead. I never dreamed that she was actually dead. Pretty traumatic for my daughter. And we are worried about the rest now. It not our first time with chickens, but our first time with a brooder.
I suspect the rest will be fine, but if not, then IDK. Sorry for your loss, hope your daughter is ok.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom