Help please. Saving a severely broken egg?

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
I swear these chickens will be the death of me! I had some broody hens sitting on some eggs while I had some others in the incubator. I haven't really been watching the hens but today I thought they had to be hatching or rotten. They started sitting in early July but the last few days have shown no action. Yesterday candling turned up two unfertilized eggs that she has been sitting on. The other 4 looked good and active.
When I checked the coop there was one of the eggs broken open and the chick was dead. Then this one was broken open but the chick is still alive. I grabbed all the eggs and put them in the incubator but I don't know. The egg is dirty and there is a small tearing in the membrane but the chick is alive and moving.
Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20180726_231135.jpg
    IMG_20180726_231135.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 16
I'd dab the membrane with oil - I just use mineral oil, usually - and that should give you a look at what's going on inside, if you're careful. That'll keep the membrane from drying out. I just dealt with my first shrinkwrapped chick today... the membrane in the BOTTOM of the egg dried out and encapsulated the poor thing, but it's out and fine now. I don't know if you'd want to spray it down with 3% hydrogen peroxide, without a shell... but maybe spray a paper towel down with some, and put it in that to try and avoid contamination of the other eggs, since you mentioned it being dirty.

You may want put some coconut oil or vaseline on the membrane (Q Tip) so it doesn't shrink wrap the chick. I'm not experienced but the was I look at it, if that egg was under the hen (hatching) she's not worried about "bacteria" (?)

:bow @oldhenlikesdogs @Pyxis @EggSighted4Life Thank you in advance :pop
Normally I wouldn't either except the hen pooped in the nest so it has dried poop stuck on it. And with the membrane exposed a slightly torn it has little protection. I will try some oil on the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom