help please! Turkey Poult with respiratory infection. How can I decongest her sinuses so that she

A vet drug book I have says that one level teaspoon of Tylan powder has 2500-2700 mg tylosin, so I think I'd pick the lower number just to be sure they get enough medication.

Try taking 1 level teaspoon (2500 mg), add 25 ml of water and see if it dissolves. If it dissolves, give your 4 pound poult 1.2 ml twice a day, and give 2.4 ml twice a day to an 8 pounder, or 2.7 ml twice a day to a 9 pounder.

Each one ml of this solution should have about 100 mg tylosin and the dose for turkeys is 60 mg per pound per day, but best to give it at least twice a day, so 30 mg per pound twice a day, 20 mg per pound three times a day or 15 mg per pound 4 times a day. Let me know if you can give it more than twice a day and I'll redo the numbers.

Math for the 4 pound poult
4 pounds x 30 mg per pound / 100 mg per ml = 1.2 ml

Make sense?

Let me know if the the powder doesn't dissolve in the 25 ml of water. Might be best to use room temp water instead of cold water.

-Kathy

Kathy, you are a gem! Thank you so much for that dosing information! I have stared, in desperation bordering upon despair, at the labels of cattle, sheep, hog, and occasionally human, medications, trying to work my head around the calculations required to effectively treat my weird little friends. To have it worked out for me is an immeasurable luxury! Twice a day dosing is perfect. I wish, too, that I could do it more often, but realistically, the odds are that I would not get it done enough times, and the little darling would not get enough.

The trick to dissolving the Tylan (I don't recall whether I was told this, or read it on packaging... but it works) is to put the water in the container, and THEN sprinkle the powder into the water. For some reason, if water is added to the powder, it just clumps, and does not seem able to un-clump, despite vigorous stirring. Strange stuff.

I have next-day photos of Baby. It looks much worse in the photos than it is, at this point, because I have not yet cleaned it. But I was so excited to post an update on her progress, and she looked upbeat for the first time in so long, that I decided not to harass her with compulsory ablutions just yet. She no longer appears to be knocking on life's exit door. I don't want to jinx the thing, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Here are the photos. You will recall that it has been her RIGHT eye that has been the most ghastly. The right one was the only one I made an incision in. The other eye simply got evacuated (as much as possible) with a syringe.

48 hours post-op, with the indispensable assistance of Kathy, and the correct medications and dosage to administer, she is looking pretty darn good. I had heard that turkeys are fragile and die easily. Well, THIS little girl must not be a turkey, then. She is one tough chick! Atta-baby, Baby!

Thanks Kathy. I can't tell you how grateful I am to you.

Sorry about the quality....

Patience

Update, and my much hoped for Happy Ending!

Baby and her sister are doing so well! In my wildest, most optimistic moments, I never imagined that they would (first of all) pull through, (secondly) with both eyes intact, and (astonishingly) with no complications to Baby from her surgery! They are back out with the crowd, no sneezing, no swelling, no lethargy. I can hardly believe it! I am still afraid, each time I look at them, that the monstrous swelling will have returned, but so far, so good. I could not be more grateful!

Thank you all for your support, good wishes and advice. Thank you, especially, Kathy, for holding my cyber-hand, and playing the role of mentor and research expert throughout. It made such a difference to me to feel that I had help as I undertook that scary, scary surgery! But I believe that she would not have survived without that intervention. Whew! I am so glad it is over! I shall pray for a long run of good health for all of our little people.

Thanks again!!! Wooooo-Hoooooooo!

Patience

8 days. Hard to believe, huh? :)

Back
Top Bottom