Help please wheezing hen!

kylen2007

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Ohio
Please help. I let my girls free range today since we were outside with them. Everyone was fine and well but I just wrangled them back in and one hen was standing at the edge of the woods gasping for air. She is wheezing terribly. Sounds like she is havinh an asthma attack. As she exhales she looks straight ip and is closing her eyes. Almost as though she is focusing on breathing. I brought her inside and ran some cool water in the tub to let her stand in it and cool down. It was only 84 today. What can I do to help her? My vet is closed already and I really don't want to pay a bill for an emergency house call over a chicken. She won't drink anything. Just standing here trying to breathe.

How is your hen doing now? Do you think that she may have gotten something such as a piece of food or a foreign body stuck in her airway? I have witnessed hens who have had stridor or wheezing after eating feed that might have gotten stuck or been dusty. It always cleared up in a n hour or two. Look for any nasal or eye drainage, in case it could be a sign of respiratory disease. Some worms such as capillary worms, can cause some problems breathing. A vet can test for worms, if a couple of fresh droppings are brought in. SafeGuard given for 5 days in a row can treat capillary worms.

She is not doing any better. Someone on another forum suggested it may be gapeworm. After reading about it Inam fairly certain that may be the cause. She has no nasal drainage. She on breathes with her head up like when she is drinking water. I am a nurse and listened to her lungs and they sound clear. Its all in her trahea. My mom brought me some dewormer bit I am not sure what dosage. Or if its safe for chickens. Isnthis the right stuff?

She is not doing any better. Someone on another forum suggested it may be gapeworm. After reading about it Inam fairly certain that may be the cause. She has no nasal drainage. She on breathes with her head up like when she is drinking water. I am a nurse and listened to her lungs and they sound clear. Its all in her trahea. My mom brought me some dewormer bit I am not sure what dosage. Or if its safe for chickens. Isnthis the right stuff?
Dosage : Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

She sadly passed last night. :( I am going to treat the whole flock. :( it was a rough night. I think I found her and it was too far peogressed.

Back
Top Bottom