HELP PLEASE.....

Annie Eggcarton

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
This is our second to bring home baby chicks. We had a 100% success rate in 2015, but we are on our 4th loss for 2016. We are clueless as to what we are doing so wrong!! To date, we have lost 2 Barred Rocks who were both around 3 weeks old when they passed. We lost our first Silver Laced Wyandotte last weekend and another today....... suggestions? Anybody??

Hello and welcome to byc!

I am so sorry to hear about your loss!

I am not good with disease issues, but if you post a more detail decriptio of what is going on in the emergency/illness section There will be more peeps who can help you out.

In the mean time I would also check out the learning center- there is tons of info there.

Good luck with your babies, and I hope it goes better from here on out.

Things to look for in chicks would be excessive sleepiness, lethergic behavior, puffed up or ruffled feathers, foamy or/and runny poo, poo with small amounts of blood in it. ( the bloody poo does not always have to be present to be sick) These symptoms describe a life threatening illness called coccidosis that young chicks can be susceptible too. if coccidosis is suspected treat ALL chicks with a medication called Amprolium. it's always good to have a fresh bottle on hand when raising chicks. The brand name for Amprolium depends on where you live. In my area it's called CORID. it's added to the drinking water. you should be able to go into any feed store and ask for Amprolium and they usually have it in stock. Coccidosis is a large cause of chick death. ...In your brooder do your chicks have a warm side and a COOL side where they can regulate there temperature? Are you checking the warm side temperature with a Thermometer? Are you dropping the temperature each week of life by 5 degrees? This is done each week until room temperature is reached and heat is no longer needed. Over heating can be as dangerous for chicks as chilling. in fact overheating causes pasting on their bottoms. Do you check there bottoms and make sure there vent is clean and able to pass poop? pasty bottom can also kill because the chick can not eliminate waste. I'm sure you likely know these things already but you asked what could be happening to your chicks so I'm trying to give a few things that might cause death. I'm very very sorry for your losses and do hope this helps a bit. These are some major things I can think of. I wish you the best.

You have some good advice already. It certainly would not do any harm to add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to their drinking water - it will help give their immune systems a bit of a boost.

Good luck

CT

Things to look for in chicks would be excessive sleepiness, lethergic behavior, puffed up or ruffled feathers, foamy or/and runny poo, poo with small amounts of blood in it. ( the bloody poo does not always have to be present to be sick) These symptoms describe a life threatening illness called coccidosis that young chicks can be susceptible too. if coccidosis is suspected treat ALL chicks with a medication called Amprolium. it's always good to have a fresh bottle on hand when raising chicks. The brand name for Amprolium depends on where you live. In my area it's called CORID. it's added to the drinking water. you should be able to go into any feed store and ask for Amprolium and they usually have it in stock. Coccidosis is a large cause of chick death. ...In your brooder do your chicks have a warm side and a COOL side where they can regulate there temperature? Are you checking the warm side temperature with a Thermometer? Are you dropping the temperature each week of life by 5 degrees? This is done each week until room temperature is reached and heat is no longer needed. Over heating can be as dangerous for chicks as chilling. in fact overheating causes pasting on their bottoms. Do you check there bottoms and make sure there vent is clean and able to pass poop? pasty bottom can also kill because the chick can not eliminate waste. I'm sure you likely know these things already but you asked what could be happening to your chicks so I'm trying to give a few things that might cause death. I'm very very sorry for your losses and do hope this helps a bit. These are some major things I can think of. I wish you the best.

Our babies are on medicated chick feed and electrolytes once a day in their water. A couple have shown signs of lethargy, but usually not until shortly before death...... the one today didnt show any signs until we found her this evening and actually thought she was sleeping. They have room in the brooder to move to a cooler side if they feel too warm. All seem to be eating and maybe only slightly less water in indicate they may be in distress. I have noticed a couple who appeR to stretch out their necks and act as tho they want to chirp, but nothing comes out... similiar to their actions when drinking water.....

the baby we lost this evening had apparently just passed when I found her as she pooped in my hand as I scooped her out of the brooder, but the smell was HORRIBLE, not regular chicken poop smell at ALL. And seemed very watery

I'm sorry that i am not more of an expert to help you further. You could always give the hatchery a call and speak to them about the issue - maybe they could offer some suggestions?

Good luck

CT

Back
Top Bottom