HELP PLS!1yo hen droopy wings, watery diarrhea, sunken head, stumbling

wcheek

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Ok, I'm thinking this is probably Mareks, as we had a bantam we suspect had it a couple months ago. BUT, some things are different, so I want to be sure. The last bird never had diarrhea, and never really looked like she wasn't feeling good - she just lost movement but was always "bright". This lady is clearly NOT FEELING WELL.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 1year old Isa Brown
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acting punky last few days, head sunk down. Eating/drinking normal. Yesterday, noticed her stumble and saw wings beginning to droop, so I removed her. SHe's eating and drinking. Seems to be drinking a lot of water, but not surprising with diarrhea.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We wormed the flock earlier this summer, have dusted the coop for mites, and have been adding vitamins to their food/feeding them yogurt, applesauce/vitamin mix several times a week. Also mixed scratch.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layena crumbles and whatever they catch free ranging typically several hours a day.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery - looks just like the pics of a chicken that is "too hot" - but we're in Michigan, their coop is in the shade most of the day, and it hasn't hit about 73 in days... No blood. Dirty vent, but not blocked.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated from other chickens.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Can't find a vet in our area that takes care of chickens, so I'm on my own.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings in coop.

Last edited:
she sounds as though she is very weak.
Have you ever wormed your birds? If not I suggest you do so and then with a broad spectrum wormer such as Ivomec Eprinex (topical "spot-on" method not in water) and follow up again in ten days.
Give a good general supplement like AviaCharge 2000 (available to purchase online from McMurry or Strombergs).
Clean your coop out thoroughly and treat with a pyrethrin or permethrin substance (mties lice etc.) and replace all bedding.
(for your birds it is important that you do your "spring cleaning" before the winter weather sets in). If you use the Eprinex as a wormer this should deal with any current lice/mites but if on examination you find that she has an extreme problem with them you can shampoo her with a kitten flea shampoo before the Eprinex treatment or use a cage bird spray sold for that purpose (non-aerosol) sold at pet stores in the bird section.

Worms (especially in combination with mites/lice) can kill your birds.

She could also be getting into something that is contaminated like some standing water? or dead carcass? bad feed? wet hay? I think you know what I mean. Take a look around and see if you can find anything of that nature. Worming is also a good idea. You said you wormed in the summer, what did you use and what was your method? Also, I wouldnt rule out cocci.

I was wondering what happened with this bird because I have a white Leghorn hen doing the same thing. I am not sure what to do to help her. Do you folks think its worms? I could give her a shot of Ivomec, but I don't want to make her any worse or cause more stress to her at this point. I have her seperated is all I am doing for now. Please comment, I need some advice! Thanks you.

I figuired it out. My hen had a soft shelled egg break inside her. When I got home this evening a small part of the soft shell was hanging out her rear end. It would not pull out easily so I put some lube around it inside and out and gently pulled it out. She's got a little bit of prolapse but I cleaned her up good. I hope she heals alright. She's still very weak and sore. I'm going to leave her alone until tomorrow evening to check her again. I think she needs time to rest and heal.

do you have her separated from the rest of the flock? when they have a prolapse no matter how small or any kind of wound the others will peck it and then it will be worse for sure. but thank goodness you were able to get it out. I hope she'll be okay..
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom