HELP>>> Post broody chicken getting beat up after rasing chicks!!!

foodieandeggs

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
I tried to introduce my BO chicken to flock last night after she had successfully raised chicks. I live in a suburban area not needing anymore chickens, I purchased meat chickens (Cornish rocks). I noticed she was no longer interested in the BIG chicks. I took her out after 5 weeks. Last night I put her on the roost and she fell off. She then went in the nesting box. I thought she would be OK but I woke up this morning and found her on the floor with her head in the corner. She got up after she saw me. She was bleeding and had no feathers on top of her head. I put her in quarantine. I need some more advice not knowing if I am doing anything wrong. She was also on top of the pecking order. Not to mention she is my favorite out of 10.

Thank You!

The flock now regards her as a 'newcomer', and they have attacked her as such. Get her healed up and introduce flock members to her one at a time starting with the least dominant. Hopefully she can regain her position in the pecking order. Chicken society is generally unkind.

Thanks! I have one more question how do I cure/heal her bare head? How long till she grows feathers back?

Last edited:
Apply a little Neosporin (without pain relief ingredient) or some other antibiotic ointment and keep the flies away from the wounds. It's amazing how well chickens heal from such wounds. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom