HELP: Protruding and bleeding vent

Zomestead

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2022
2 week old chick, had pasty butt for about a week, vent started protruding, but she began to poop and stopped getting pasty finally! Then, today, she was bloody around it. Pic of how I found her and after I gently cleaned her up (and her resting after). Put tiny bit of Vaseline on it. She pooped clear liquid but then had a decent poop on me. But her poor area looks so swollen! Anything I should be doing differently? I’m so worried.

Attachments

• 1A21A6B4-58CD-4E1D-B4DD-FBC85B9DCD02.jpeg
    1A21A6B4-58CD-4E1D-B4DD-FBC85B9DCD02.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 62
  • A9474ABF-EFA0-4C3C-BC4D-A4E295FE12EC.jpeg
    A9474ABF-EFA0-4C3C-BC4D-A4E295FE12EC.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 24
  • E46BCC4D-310B-4DA9-A02E-4FB6D9A0D39F.jpeg
    E46BCC4D-310B-4DA9-A02E-4FB6D9A0D39F.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 26
2 week old chick, had pasty butt for about a week, vent started protruding, but she began to poop and stopped getting pasty finally! Then, today, she was bloody around it. Pic of how I found her and after I gently cleaned her up (and her resting after). Put tiny bit of Vaseline on it. She pooped clear liquid but then had a decent poop on me. But her poor area looks so swollen! Anything I should be doing differently? I’m so worried.
Did a second poop that looked good! And after shot.

Attachments

• 9D611F55-3FD3-4351-B157-1F65FE96572A.jpeg
    9D611F55-3FD3-4351-B157-1F65FE96572A.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 26
  • E8B755C1-0CEE-46CF-B337-CCFE257F5FCC.jpeg
    E8B755C1-0CEE-46CF-B337-CCFE257F5FCC.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 22
How old are the other chicks with her? Are they pecking her? Chicks can have prolapses from straining. I would put some hydrocortisone cream on her vent twice a day. If she gets constipated again, give her a few drops of coconut oil orally.
She’s one of 20, all the same age, she’s midsize among them. We got from hatchery online and had 23, but 3 died in the few days, with no known cause, except one was so small and all three just seemed weak for some reason, but we tried everything. All others seem to be doing well thankfully! About 5-6 had pasty butt, and all healed except this one looking painful. I’ve removed her since I saw it today and will keep her separate for a bit. I’ll try the cream!!! Thank you!!!

It’s been a rough road, and I don’t think I’ll ever order again from a hatchery through mail! 😢 We love our chickens so and this has been extremely upsetting! I need this girl to be ok!!!

She’s one of 20, all the same age, she’s midsize among them. We got from hatchery online and had 23, but 3 died in the few days, with no known cause, except one was so small and all three just seemed weak for some reason, but we tried everything. All others seem to be doing well thankfully! About 5-6 had pasty butt, and all healed except this one looking painful. I’ve removed her since I saw it today and will keep her separate for a bit. I’ll try the cream!!! Thank you!!!

It’s been a rough road, and I don’t think I’ll ever order again from a hatchery through mail! 😢 We love our chickens so and this has been extremely upsetting! I need this girl to be ok!!!
PS…. They are in a 4x4 brooder that will be get an added 4x4 in about a week for the days, when they don’t need quite as much heat, which will give them ~8x8 during the day, but back to the 4x4 for night if needing extra heat. :) Should be enough space!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your babies 😢

How old are the other chicks with her? Are they pecking her? Chicks can have prolapses from straining. I would put some hydrocortisone cream on her vent twice a day. If she gets constipated again, give her a few drops of coconut oil orally.
She is definitely constipated! Her last bowel she was wobbling side to side to get out and yell-chirping! We will try the oil too!

PS…. They are in a 4x4 brooder that will be get an added 4x4 in about a week for the days, when they don’t need quite as much heat, which will give them ~8x8 during the day, but back to the 4x4 for night if needing extra heat. :) Should be enough space!
I'd add the extra space now.
This will give you room to have multiple water and feed stations to ensure everyone is eating/drinking well. The chicks just need one warm area to get warm, but they need room to spread out and avoid trampling.

Back
Top Bottom