Help! Puller or Cockerel??

fionaelizabeth

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I brought home my first two Pekin Bantam crosses yesterday from a farm, I think they are about 6 weeks old but that is a guestimate. I just wondered if anyone had any idea on the gender. I think they grey one might be a cockerel but I'm very new to this so not too sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Fiona

If the color on my monitor is correct, I would guess the brown one is a cockerel as well. His comb looks like it is tinted pink already. So, if he truly is around 6 weeks old, and the comb already has a pink tint to it in person, then I would say it is likely a cockerel. Typically pullets at this age would still have very pale combs. Sorry.

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure how old they are really. My guess is 6 weeks but they didn't give me an age so it's hard to tell. The grey has more of a pink tint to it, but the brown is less pink and white/yellow at the end of the comb. How old are they when it gets more obvious? I guess if the are both cockerels it will be harder to tell as nothing to compare to?

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure how old they are really. My guess is 6 weeks but they didn't give me an age so it's hard to tell. The grey has more of a pink tint to it, but the brown is less pink and white/yellow at the end of the comb. How old are they when it gets more obvious? I guess if the are both cockerels it will be harder to tell as nothing to compare to?

Every breed is different and even within each breed, different lines can develop at different rates. Some cockerel combs may pinken by 3 weeks old, while others may not become as apparent until 8-10 weeks on average. If there is any chance you can get a better idea of how old they are, that would be extremely helpful. For example, my large fowl Barnevelder cockerels have combs that are pink by 3 weeks of age while the pullets remain a very pale flesh color. But, my bantam Barnevelders are generally harder to sex until around 6 weeks or so and even then I have to look at just the base of the comb as the cockerel combs are still flesh colored along the edges. My Iowa Blues are distinguishable by 4 weeks. With my Swedish Flower Hens, it is generally closer to 8 weeks before I have a true idea and, again, I have to focus on the base color of the comb as the tips are still flesh colored. But all of the pullets' combs remain completely flesh colored. So in my experience, at this age, any pink in the comb indicates cockerel. If, however, your birds are older and closer to point of lay, a pink comb on pullets would be expected. Any chance you could contact the person you got them from and ask how old they are? Do you even know if they are the same age? If they are not the same age, that can also complicate trying to sex them. Good luck!

That's really helpful, thank you! They are definitely nowhere near point of lay so I imagine that are both cockerels which is a shame! I'll get in contact t with the farm and see if they know the age but it will be somewhere between 6-8 weeks I would think. Thanks for your help!

No problem! Again this has just been my experience with the breeds I have listed, as well as several other breeds I have raised. I have, however, never raised Pekin Bantams, so perhaps they mature differently or at a different rate. If you can get a better determination of their age, you might want to try posting on one of the "pekin bantam" threads to see what other breeders of Pekin Bantams think. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom