Help putting baby chicks under broody hen, please.

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
I have a broody hen who has been sitting on her eggs for almost a week. In a few days I am leaving on vacation for about a week. Since some kids will be watching my chicks, she doesn't have a separate broody area because that's too much for them too keep up with. Because she does not have a separate area, inevitably, when she gets down to eat, another hen takes her spot, lays leaves and broody has already taken up nesting in another box so her eggs will get cold. I have access to an incubator that turns automatically. I have two options and if you can please give me feedback. When I get back the chicks will be about a day away from hatching. I can put the eggs under her and be careful not to turn them and have her do the hatching or i can hatch them in the incubator and put them under her one at a time as they hatch. What do you think and suggest? I really prefer to let nature take it's course, but I can't on this one. I would let her just brood on an empty nest, but last time she set 6 weeks before I finally gave her eggs (this was middle of winter and she is determined!). It's now about 105 degrees every day and I can't stand the thought of her setting for nothing while I'm gone in the heat and then having to start over when I return.

Thanks!

Sylvia

Do you have a dog carrier or something you could move the hen into, or perhaps a way of screening off part of the coop where the kids could check on food and water? If not, I think I might slip them under her as they hatch, especially if she keeps getting pushed out of the nest.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom