Help! Quail chick can't lift head?

RainyDayChickens

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
Yesterday I had successfully hatched 16 quail, once I moved them out of my incubator, I Candled the remaining 6 eggs to see if there was life. One had a Pip, and I could see the chick inside breathing. I left them overnight, and when I woke up there was still no more progress, this was day 2 and I was worried, so I began to slowly and as carefully as possible help them out, I got the top half off, and they slid out gently, no tugging or force required to get them out. It looks like they were slightly stuck to the wall of the egg, so they couldn't zip properly. Once out they had a very small bit of yolk still being absorbed, so I let them be and now it's no longer there. My problem now is that the chick won't seem to pick up their head. They try to crawl forward, but it seems that they struggle to stay on their belly, they flop over onto their side alot. I'm doing my best to help them. I would love to hear some suggestions on what to do, or if this chick should just be culled and not have to suffer through anything. Thanks in advance for any help!

How is the chick doing?

You can try giving a drop of poultry nutri-drench twice a day, but often I've found that if Quail babies don't get up and moving right at hatch, they just don't make it:(

After a sleepless night of watching and helping them they seem stronger, but have no ability to move without assistance. My best guess is that they are semi-paralyzed on one side. I think its the most humane thing to just cull this one. I tried my best and spent hours helping them, but all they can do is just sleep on their side. :(

After a sleepless night of watching and helping them they seem stronger, but have no ability to move without assistance. My best guess is that they are semi-paralyzed on one side. I think its the most humane thing to just cull this one. I tried my best and spent hours helping them, but all they can do is just sleep on their side. :(
:hugsI'm sorry about the chick.
Yes, often that's the case when they are like that, they won't make it.

Back
Top Bottom