Help- quail disease?

I have a bird with the same symptoms. She just sits there with her dead down and doesn't really move or do anything. Real Lathargic. I started adding probotic and electrolyte to her water. Haven't dewormed her yet. I have to make her drink water cause she doesn't eat or drink. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Lots of things can cause a bird to sit there lethargically....worms, internal bacterial or viral infection, egg binding, injuries from other birds or hitting their heads on the ceiling, internal ailments of all kinds, coccidiosis, bad diet...the list is long.

So the best thing you can do is go over your birds area, give them an exam checking for mites, lice, egg binding, injuries, if you have never wormed and they are more than 6 months old consider worming, if they have any signs of respiratory ailments, get them on antibiotics. Check the feet to make sure they don't have bumblefoot (infection in the pads) If they are acting fluffed up in the corner, runny poop or blood in the poop they could have cocci. You would need to add Corid to the water for 5 days. Check the poop for color. Ashy grey looking poop can be a form of enteritis to which you would want to add antibiotics. Make sure they are not being bullied, have fair access to food and water. Keep them in a clean environment, give them something to dust bathe in. If you suspect egg binding, give them some crushed up Tums and soak the lower half of the bird in warm water for 10 mins to help move the egg. Always offer up crushed oyster shell for the layers.

Just a few ideas. If you can find some other symptoms, we can go further with the healing. :)

No mites or lice they all have dust baths. No bumble foot I checked that. I noticed a little heavy breathing.making her drink with probotic and electrolyte. I have some wazine. Should I go ahead and worm her? I don't know how to tell if she has egg binding. I feed them chicken scratch and egg layer. Coops clean.

All my birds have dust baths. No bumble foot. Idk how to check for egg binding. There diet is chicken scratch and laying pellets....... she is now shaking her head back and forth and cant standup. I don't think she hit her head. Her poop is kind of a white and green.......

If she can't stand up, it is possible she is egg bound. On the outside of her body, check around her vent. Push into her vent to see if you feel an egg. Then put on a latex glove with some KY jelly on your smallest finger and insert it into her vent. If there is a stuck egg, you will feel it there. If you do feel an egg, get some tums and crush them into small pieces and see if she will eat them. Tums is loaded with calcium and will make that egg move out of her body within the hour or so. If she won't eat the pieces, you can crush them up completely and mix in some baby food or apple sauce and syringe it onto her tongue. Then soak her lower half in warm water for 10 mins. These two things will get an egg to move if it is stuck.

Also, check her over really well for any respiratory ailments....runny nose, swollen face or above the nostrils, rattling in the lungs or wheezing. She could have a bacterial infection.

And if it is none of the above, if she were my bird, I would go ahead and worm her. 2 Tablespoons Wazine for a gallon of water for one full day. Repeat in 10 to 12 days. Do all the birds at the same time.

Last edited:
If she can't stand up, it is possible she is egg bound. On the outside of her body, check around her vent. Push into her vent to see if you feel an egg. Then put on a latex glove with some KY jelly on your smallest finger and insert it into her vent. If there is a stuck egg, you will feel it there. If you do feel an egg, get some tums and crush them into small pieces and see if she will eat them. Tums is loaded with calcium and will make that egg move out of her body within the hour or so. If she won't eat the pieces, you can crush them up completely and mix in some baby food or apple sauce and syringe it onto her tongue. Then soak her lower half in warm water for 10 mins. These two things will get an egg to move if it is stuck.

Also, check her over really well for any respiratory ailments....runny nose, swollen face or above the nostrils, rattling in the lungs or wheezing. She could have a bacterial infection.

And if it is none of the above, if she were my bird, I would go ahead and worm her. 2 Tablespoons Wazine for a gallon of water for one full day. Repeat in 10 to 12 days. Do all the birds at the same time.

Woah, good advice. I had never heard of those remedies for egg binding.

I have a quail with the very same symptoms and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by trying to save her. I have hand fed her for a week now. She does look SO much better than in the beginning. Sitting without truly being able to stand. Not eating. Shaking her head sorta crazy like. Runny poo..........

Last edited:
If she is improving after one week and passing poop, then she is most likely not egg bound. Sounds like your bird might have something else going on. A boink to the head on the ceiling can leave them lame for a week or more.

There are several other besides egg binding things that leave birds acting lethargic from cocci, worms, bacterial or viral infections, injuries, etc..

Back
Top Bottom