Help !! Questions about an assisted hatching?

Chelvt93

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
This is my first time hatching eggs, I had two incubators going and my first hatch was very successful except for the last chick to hatchb did get sealed inside a dried membrane, but I successfully assisted the hatch. My second batch I have one chick that started a pip hole on day 21 and 11 hours later no progress but loud peeping was nervous because I had heard peeping for the last 2 days the. so I started to assist hatching and there was a little bleed so I stopped. I know you should not assist a hatch unless absolutely necessary and I think I was just nervous because of the last chick I dealt with getting dried and stuck inside its membrane. Unfortunately now about a quarter of the egg membrane is exposed and now I'm afraid it will dry out and the chick will die! She is still peeping and I think the little bit of bleeding stopped. Now I'm just concerned about the membrane drying out. I applied some aquaphor which is very similar to Vaseline to the membrane. I'm not sure if I should wrap a moist towel around the exposed membrane or not. I don't want to drown the chick. This is my first time. What should I do?!!

This is a picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20230422_210750535.jpg
    PXL_20230422_210750535.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 41
membrane definitely going to have to stay moist or it will shrink wrap chick. I've gone all in & extracted a few chicks that got in this situation. May be your only hope. but there are lots of precautions that need to be taken to save chick this way. That looks like it should be pretty easy to snip membranes back a little but avoid hitting veins. keep them moist, chick will come out

The chick is still completely covered in a membrane except for a tiny hole that it had pecked itself. It just doesn't look like it because
I wet the inner membrane with aquaphor. I stopped assisting because one of the blood blood veins started bleeding when I peeled back the membrane. It's about an hour later. It's still breathing and peeping. Hopefully I just need to keep the membrane moist and everything will be okay.

I did help it a little bit more and it hatched successfully and is doing great! Thank you for your reply!

Attachments

• 16822069014073996584513936244533.jpg
    16822069014073996584513936244533.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 41

Back
Top Bottom