Help - quitters?

bigbum1984

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Kent, England
I started off incubating 18 eggs 12 days ago, I candled them at a week and threw 7 away as they weren't fertile.
Out of the 11 I have left 9 seem to be growing well, when I candled them today I couldn't see much in the 9 (about 3/4's inside is dark with good veining) but the other 2 seem to be much slower or have died (only about 1/2 is dark and no veining).
I'm not sure what to do as this is my first time incubating, I can't see a blood ring.

Should I remove them or leave them in? Don't want to remove them to find they're fine

welcome-byc.gif

It won't hurt to leave the 2 you think may have died (I think so too). Candle again at day 18 & remove them if there is no further growth.. It should be quite obvious by that time.

Do i stop turning on the morning of day 18 or in the evening?

It really doesn’t matter. Turning isn’t all that important after the first 14 days. This came from a man that teaches poultry science at the university and works as a consultant with commercial hatcheries where just one incubator may hold 120,000 eggs and the hatchery may hatch 1,000,000 chicks a week. I consider him a reliable source.

It does not hurt to turn the eggs for a few more days but it is not really necessary.

For me, I keep turning them in the automatic turner until I increase the humidity, which is after 18 full days of development. That’s more a matter of convenience. It doesn’t have to be that precise.

I've read on another site that some eggs don't hatch until day 25, is this right? I don't want to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator for too long.

Quote:
Depends on what type of eggs your hatching, but if it's chicken eggs, the answer is NO. If everything has been correct, Heat, Humidity & turning, chicken eggs hatch in 21 Days. The only reason some MIGHT hatch after 21 days is because , generally, heat hasn't been proper. Anything lower than 99.5 slows down chick development & therefore delays hatching.

Back
Top Bottom