HELP!! Raccoon in my trap, should I release it or kill it???

While I also disagree with the relocation of any animal I must point out that it is not illegal in all 50 states, Wisconsin allows it as long as you get permission of the land owner to release on private property, however it is illegal to release on any lands owned or controlled by the DNR.
I realize that this thread is almost 4 years old but I wish to remind everyone that it is against the law in all 50 states to release a live raccoon anywhere except on or at the very sight that you trapped it. The reason is it is proving hard to eliminate rabies in the wild coon population as long as good meaning but uninformed people shuffle coons around like a Vegas dealer shuffles cards. As for myself I don't want to be responsible for a child getting bit by a rabid coon or from other wildlife that contracted rabies from a coon that I released biting a human. If you can live with that guilt then more power to you so go ahead and knock yourself out.

If you go to the trouble and expense to trap a coon then by all means kill all the coons that you trap. Not doing so is tantamount to going to the work and expense of building coops, fences, and carrying for your hens and then buying all your eggs at the Safe Way or at the Piggly Wiggly store.

In Michigan you can release a critter WITHIN THE SAME COUNTY, if the landowner give permission. The DNR thinks that trap and shoot is far and away the best plan, for all the reasons in the above posts. PLEASE don't release in my neighborhood!!! Mary

I won't do this to you, but if I showed you a picture of what a raccoon did to my beautiful drake last night, you would kill this monster in a heartbeat.

Little ******* ripped his beautiful head and neck off, and left just a body. I bawled like a little girl when I found him.... I was so upset I couldn't get a word out to explain to my wife why I was waking her up crying.

I talked to my sister, and she told me about how one raccoon managed to break into her coup one night (which she thought was predator proof) and murdered her entire flock of chickens. She hasn't had the heart to buy any more birds yet.... and her little girls loved their birds. They would come over and sit in your lap for petting.

I used to think raccoons where cute, and would question why you would kill it unless you want to eat it. I now understand... the only good raccoon is a dead raccoon.

I spent the rest of the day after work yesterday building the closest thing I could to Birdy Fort Knox. Ill still let them free range our fenced yard during the day, because I want them to be happy, but they are getting locked up at sundown. As soon as time and money permit, I will be building them a very large outdoor run so I can keep them safer during the day as well, and only free range them when I can be watching them. From my research, it looks like hardware cloth will be required for Ceiling, Floor, and all walls to keep predators out. My sister didn't know a Raccoon could shred her lighter gauge chicken fence material (stronger than chickenwire, but not as strong as hardware cloth)

--Brian

I believe it is illegal to relocate wildlife in most areas. An officer from DNR once told me that when a wild animal starts to prey on domestic animals (cats, dogs, chickens, rabbits, etc.) It should be removed from the environment. Those animals kill to survive and are not the cute stuffed animals in your childrens room. It is bad for their species to let them prey on domestic animals because they will depend on it and teach their offspring to do it and make them weak hunters in the future. Keep in mind that when you remove an animal, another will take its place through natural territorial movement, so if you remove one that is just messing with your garden and not your chickens, who knows what will move in. If you release it, you may want to give it a good spray down with the garden hose and release it by the garden so it relates water torture to the garden and not want to return.
If you remove it, do it quickly and humanely. It may have ripped apart 6 of your hens or your cat, but thats what they naturally do, thats why they have sharp teeth and claws.
I agree with the DNR officer, when they interfere with domestic locations they should be removed.

If you have ever seen the aftermath of a coon ripping wings and legs off a bird you would place a .22 between the eyes

I believe it is illegal to relocate wildlife in most areas. An officer from DNR once told me that when a wild animal starts to prey on domestic animals (cats, dogs, chickens, rabbits, etc.) It should be removed from the environment. Those animals kill to survive and are not the cute stuffed animals in your childrens room. It is bad for their species to let them prey on domestic animals because they will depend on it and teach their offspring to do it and make them weak hunters in the future. Keep in mind that when you remove an animal, another will take its place through natural territorial movement, so if you remove one that is just messing with your garden and not your chickens, who knows what will move in. If you release it, you may want to give it a good spray down with the garden hose and release it by the garden so it relates water torture to the garden and not want to return.
If you remove it, do it quickly and humanely. It may have ripped apart 6 of your hens or your cat, but thats what they naturally do, thats why they have sharp teeth and claws.
I agree with the DNR officer, when they interfere with domestic locations they should be removed.

I agree. It is what they naturally do and you either need to do it humanely or release it but teach it a lesson.

This is an old thread, but I will say me piece anyway.
smile.png
If you trap an animal that is killing your chickens or other livestock, kill it. Please do not take your now trap-savvy predator out in the country to release it into the wild. Go ahead and do some research to find out what happens when you release a raccoon into another raccoon's territory. Or where it doesn't know where to find food and water. Not to mention the fact that "your' raccoon could have rabies, distemper or who knows what else they carry. You have now potentially spread it into another area. I live in the country. Not the little housing developments five miles out of town that some people call "country". I live 20 miles from town where my nearest neighbor is a mile away. I really don't want your raccoon that's used to eating chickens anyway let loose out here to eat mine. My chickens have enough to deal with, without you adding to the problem. I have an even better idea! Maybe we should take all the poor, starving raccoons from out in the country (they must be starving, or they wouldn't eat my chickens, right? I mean, they wouldn't go after them just because it's convenient or anything, would they?) and release them in towns and cites where there are dumpsters galore, people leaving dog and cat food out on the porch, and all kinds of other food sources. They wouldn't have to hunt ever again! I also wouldn't want to try to teach a cornered raccoon a lesson while releasing it from a trap. Have you seen that mouthful of sharp teeth? Heard one growl and snarl at you? They are not the cute little woodland creatures you see on TV.....

Back
Top Bottom