Help!! Red bulge after hatching

packisnumber1

Hatching
Apr 30, 2023
Poor little baby was in its egg for about 48 hours when was finally able to get out. Now it has the red bulge-is this the yolk sac or intestines?? It is a very spunky and vocal chick so far! This is my first attempt to incubate and hatch. We’ve been using a still air incubator but I did my best with the temps and humidity. What can I do for this cutie?! The other eggs aren’t pipping at all yet, yesterday was day 21 and most when candles seemed like they were growing! Never knew it was this complicated!!

1682872127850.jpeg

1682872165231.jpeg

It looks like unabsorbed yolk to me. For hatchlings with unhealed navels or yolks that aren't fully absorbed, I put them in a plastic cup in the incubator (usually lined with a dry paper towel) to try to give them a chance to finish healing or absorbing. Doing this will also help prevent the yolk sac from being damaged.

If it doesn't get absorbed, it may simply (over time) dry up and fall off. Best case scenario, though is for the chick to finish absorbing the yolk so it can access the nutrition it contains.

Best of luck!

It looks like unabsorbed yolk to me. For hatchlings with unhealed navels or yolks that aren't fully absorbed, I put them in a plastic cup in the incubator (usually lined with a dry paper towel) to try to give them a chance to finish healing or absorbing. Doing this will also help prevent the yolk sac from being damaged.

If it doesn't get absorbed, it may simply (over time) dry up and fall off. Best case scenario, though is for the chick to finish absorbing the yolk so it can access the nutrition it contains.

Best of luck!
Thank you! I put some iodine on it and got it in a small Tupperware with paper towel. It is standing good and drying well so hoping it does ok!! Very vocal!! I think it’s trying to coax the others to hatch!!

Update-little stinker got out of the Tupperware and is snuggling the other eggs! I hope more hatch but will need to separate them until this one’s healed.

Attachments

• IMG_6293.jpeg
    IMG_6293.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom