Is this a saddled egg? Day 8 of Incubation

Lauralou2

Hatching
Apr 15, 2024
Morning lovely people 😊 hoping someone can give me some advice pretty please

I am hatching my first eggs, these were posted and I wasn't aware of the air sac issue that can occur until after I had ordered them.

So I candled the eggs yesterday on Day 8 of Incubation. One egg appears to have a saddled air sac down the side of the egg. However, on the opposite end of the egg there is a normal looking air sac? The white on the side also does not move when I move the egg. As these were shipped I rested them for 24 hours before incubation.

Is there a way to help the air sac go back to a normal position at this stage? If not, what would be the best course of action for lockdown? They are currently rotated on their side if this makes any difference to the advice.

I was trying the dry hatch method, however in my house the humidity is at a constant 40%?

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20240415_094014.jpg
    IMG_20240415_094014.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240415_094028.jpg
    IMG_20240415_094028.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240415_094108.jpg
    IMG_20240415_094108.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 11
Yes it looks saddled. I buy shipped eggs frequently and when I receive them I let them rest 24 hours (even though I don’t think that makes a difference it’s just advice I got so I do it) and then I incubate upright for the first 7 days. I don’t start turning them until day 4. You have to turn by hand for 3 days. Then I will put them on their sides and let the automatic turnner do it’s job. I do 30-35% humidity and then at lockdown I do 45-50%
No matter what though shipped eggs never have a HUGE success rate. I automatically assume I will lose 50% of the eggs. Shipping is just so hard on them. I usually get more than a 50% hatch but better to keep my expectations low and be surprised if it’s better than I thought. Saddled eggs can and do hatch but it’s also a gamble. Don’t give up on it but don’t put too much hope on it either.
Good luck! Hopefully it makes it out and is a thriving little chick! 🐥♥️

Yes it looks saddled. I buy shipped eggs frequently and when I receive them I let them rest 24 hours (even though I don’t think that makes a difference it’s just advice I got so I do it) and then I incubate upright for the first 7 days. I don’t start turning them until day 4. You have to turn by hand for 3 days. Then I will put them on their sides and let the automatic turnner do it’s job. I do 30-35% humidity and then at lockdown I do 45-50%
No matter what though shipped eggs never have a HUGE success rate. I automatically assume I will lose 50% of the eggs. Shipping is just so hard on them. I usually get more than a 50% hatch but better to keep my expectations low and be surprised if it’s better than I thought. Saddled eggs can and do hatch but it’s also a gamble. Don’t give up on it but don’t put too much hope on it either.
Good luck! Hopefully it makes it out and is a thriving little chick! 🐥♥️
Thank you!! First time doing it so it's been a learning curve. Thank you for the advice, I'll follow these steps if there's no luck this time and we do another incubation. We're left at 2 eggs now, with 7 days left to go, fingers crossed these two chicks make it!❤️

In my opinion from your picture that doesn’t look like the air cell. Looking inside an egg by candling you will be able to see the yolk and the egg white. As you can see from your picture, the darker part of the egg is the yolk, that’s where the embryo starts developing, and the lighter part just looks like egg white to me. Your air cell looks normal as far as I can tell. If you could get better pictures in a darker room that would be helpful, but I know that’s a hard task lol. Here, I snapped a quick picture for you of an egg that I’m incubating. It’s a goose egg and early incubation so the air cell is hard to see, but I labeled it for you.
IMG_1514.jpeg

I can understand your confusion about the air cell! It will definitely take a while before you’re able to identify what’s going on inside an egg!

In my opinion from your picture that doesn’t look like the air cell. Looking inside an egg by candling you will be able to see the yolk and the egg white. As you can see from your picture, the darker part of the egg is the yolk, that’s where the embryo starts developing, and the lighter part just looks like egg white to me. Your air cell looks normal as far as I can tell. If you could get better pictures in a darker room that would be helpful, but I know that’s a hard task lol. Here, I snapped a quick picture for you of an egg that I’m incubating. It’s a goose egg and early incubation so the air cell is hard to see, but I labeled it for you. View attachment 3806074
I can understand your confusion about the air cell! It will definitely take a while before you’re able to identify what’s going on inside an egg!
Thank you so much for explaining that to me! That does make sense now, I was confused once I saw the air sac ring at the other end lol that's given me some relief now! I have had one egg that appears it has died, as the liquid is moving inside :( and the dark parts of it is so much smaller than the other eggs. First time hatch really is full of anxiety haha

Thank you so much for explaining that to me! That does make sense now, I was confused once I saw the air sac ring at the other end lol that's given me some relief now! I have had one egg that appears it has died, as the liquid is moving inside :( and the dark parts of it is so much smaller than the other eggs. First time hatch really is full of anxiety haha
Of course!
That’s totally normal for a few to quit. If you send a pic I can help you determine, but otherwise you’re probably ok to leave it in until hatching time. I know the feeling! You’re doing great!

Back
Top Bottom