Help!! Respiratory infection or something else? New to chickens!!

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I got some chickens and one has a gurgle/rattle when breathing sometimes. Not constantly, only sometimes. My other chickens show no signs except some sneeze here and there. The hen that’s making the noise has no signs of discharge from her eyes or nose. She seems to be pretty healthy besides this gurgling sound. I used vetrx in their water for a couple months, and I am on day 4 of giving the infected hen tylan50 orally, .5cc once a day. I think should could be a bit better maybe but it has gone away yet. And they say to only use it for 5 days so I doubt it’s going to go away with another day. Is there any ideas what else it could be or other antibiotics I should try? I don’t really know what to do with her now.

Could be:
Infectious bronchitis.jpg

Have you checked your sick hen’s crop in case it is puffy or she has sour crop which sometimes can make a chicken sound gurgly? The crop should be empty by morning. Is the chicken who is gurgling sneezing as well? Infectious bronchitis normally causes chickens to sneeze every few minutes. That is the most common symptom.

Tylan 50 injectable can be given 1 ml for a 5 pound hen 2-3 times a day for 5 days. It only works against bacteria diseases such as MG and can help with coryza, although sulfadimethoxine may be a better treatment.

There are other respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis from mold. Here is a good link to read about those diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom