Help! Rhode Island Red won't move, eat, or open eyes.

May 12, 2019
Republic, MI
I need help! My Rhode Island Red hen (she's about 2 years old) is very lethargic/lifeless, she won't move at all, she won't eat at all, and she only drank a little bit when I soaked her in the tub for 20 minutes. She also won't keep her eyes open unless she's startled. :( I just don't know what's wrong with her. I gave her a tums and soaked her in a bath just in case she's egg bound. I can't feel an egg inside of her but I acted as though she's egg bound just in case. Where I live it's been between 10 & 20 degrees F every night and only in the 30s during the day. I have her inside my house tonight so she isn't cold at all. I syringe fed her some water with sugar to try to give her some energy since I don't have any electrolytes handy. Is there anything else I can do?? I just dewormed my flock last month and we have snow on the ground right now so I don't think parasites are an issue. I blew on her skin under her wings and I didn't see any mites either. I'm just lost on what's wrong with her and how to help her. :(

strawberry.jpg

If it’s coccidiosis you need some corid and get the acv or garlic going after treatment. There are like 9 strains of the protozoan and it can kill chickens in days. My first one hunched up, pulled her neck in, barely ate or drank, and isolated herself. After much research, call to vet, and losing 3 birds we got the medicine and they recovered almost immediately.

I believe it would be either the cold or coccidiosis. birds can freeze in 30 degree weather and it happens very frequently. you can tell if she's freezing if her comb is cold. the comb is the heat and cooler of the body. so if it is a dark color that is indicating that she's internally freezing. don't move her into warm weather in a short time frame or 90 percent of the time your bird will most likely die according to the ASBC site. if it possibly was coccidiosis give her corid. its a medication put into the water and has a 78 percent survival rate. its also a great de wormer. another great medication is ropa poultry, its a great vitamin source and cures coccidiosis and helps with bird influenza. I hope this might have helped you, and hope for the best of luck for your birds! :fl

Attachments

• yes.png
    yes.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 13
  • no u.jpg
    no u.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 9
  • hahahaha.jpg
    hahahaha.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 12
I need help! My Rhode Island Red hen (she's about 2 years old) is very lethargic/lifeless, she won't move at all, she won't eat at all, and she only drank a little bit when I soaked her in the tub for 20 minutes. She also won't keep her eyes open unless she's startled. :( I just don't know what's wrong with her. I gave her a tums and soaked her in a bath just in case she's egg bound. I can't feel an egg inside of her but I acted as though she's egg bound just in case. Where I live it's been between 10 & 20 degrees F every night and only in the 30s during the day. I have her inside my house tonight so she isn't cold at all. I syringe fed her some water with sugar to try to give her some energy since I don't have any electrolytes handy. Is there anything else I can do?? I just dewormed my flock last month and we have snow on the ground right now so I don't think parasites are an issue. I blew on her skin under her wings and I didn't see any mites either. I'm just lost on what's wrong with her and how to help her. :(

View attachment 1959887
How do I know if my chickens have Cocci?
It’s hard to conclusively tell from symptoms what condition a chicken may have since many diseases share symptoms. Here is a general list that will hopefully help you in your diagnosis:
  • Droopiness & listlessness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Pale combs and wattles
  • Ruffled, untidy feathers fluffed up for no apparent reason
  • Huddling or acting chilled
  • Blood or mucus in the feces, although it’s important to note that some occasional red colored shed digestive lining is normal.
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Alive one day, dead the next.
Since cocci affects the gut, some other symptoms may include poor feed digestion, poor weight gain, and poor feed efficiency.

The most conclusive way to diagnosis your chicken is to perform a necropsy, or an autopsy performed on an animal, shortly after death. Cut the dead chicken apart and find the intestine. Cocci makes the intestines swell and become thick like sausage. There will be light colored spots on the outside and light colored streaks and hemorrhages on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom