help! Roos comb turning purple

Jul 8, 2020
bangkok thailand
Hello Everyone, so today i was feeding my chickens when i realized my five year old dwarf bantam roosters comb was slowly turning purple at the end and that got me a little worried. i read some articles that it may be oxygen deprivation due to something stuck in a chickens throat but i’m not sure if that’s the case- but if it was what could i do about it?

His poo is a little mushy but not watery and his appetite appears to be fine, he ate a little extra today. He’s out and about but then earlier today i head him shriek multiple times very loudly ( not crowing) is this normal or should i be concerned?

And as for his comb turning purple could this be caused by mosquitoes? i live in thailand and it’s been storming a lot here recently encouraging mosquito overpopulation and they’ve been drawing blood from their combs at night and ive tried to apply mild herbal balm to ward off the mosquitos and i put a fine mesh but they still seem to come when they’re not in their pen so if there’s anything i can do about the mosquitoes please let me know as well!

hello @auspiciouschickens - welcome to BYC :frow

you can put his symptoms into this site and get a list of possible causes for the cyanosis,
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

I had a similar experience with one of my roo's wattles earlier in the year; we never did figure out what caused it, but it went away again and he's fine, so that's all good. You might find the discussion of it useful though:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...c-but-comb-fine-is-this-fowl-cholera.1352786/

As for mosquitoes, a traditional insect repellent for coops here (UK) is fern leaves. I put some in my coops, and have noticed that sitting hens often pull them into the nest, so whatever they actually do achieve, the chickens like it! Good luck!

Sometimes combs will turn purple or darker during stress or excitement, and then return to the normal color. It could be a symptom of a heart problem, but not neccessarily, and nothing you can really do about that.
Fowl pox is the biggest concern with mosquito's, but most of the time that runs it's course with no major issues. Once they've had it, they won't get that strain again.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Screening the openings on the coop with window screen, putting a piece of screen over their door that is cut in strips that hang down lets them still go in and out but stops a lot of the mosquito's, and fans can help keep them from being able to land on them. Most bites happen when they are stationary and roosting. I have rosemary bushes planted in my run, the birds spend a lot of time laying in and under them, the strong scent seems to discourage the mosquito's and the no-see-ums.

Sometimes combs will turn purple or darker during stress or excitement, and then return to the normal color. It could be a symptom of a heart problem, but not neccessarily, and nothing you can really do about that.
Fowl pox is the biggest concern with mosquito's, but most of the time that runs it's course with no major issues. Once they've had it, they won't get that strain again.
Screening the openings on the coop with window screen, putting a piece of screen over their door that is cut in strips that hang down lets them still go in and out but stops a lot of the mosquito's, and fans can help keep them from being able to land on them. Most bites happen when they are stationary and roosting. I have rosemary bushes planted in my run, the birds spend a lot of time laying in and under them, the strong scent seems to discourage the mosquito's and the no-see-ums.

thanks for the reply! i think he was a little stressed that day, his comb has turned back bright red and he seems much better! and i’ve put up extra fine mesh to keep out the mosquitoes & i’ve also misted their cage with cinnamon water and it’s really helped !

Attachments

• AF93F717-D393-4D30-8871-7EA69DAC686B.jpeg
    AF93F717-D393-4D30-8871-7EA69DAC686B.jpeg
    607.6 KB · Views: 8
thanks! i’ve managed to put extra screen mesh and a similar screen over their door! he’s much better now!

Back
Top Bottom