Help! Rooster has hard vent, impacted with poop

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! He's crowing this morning, so that's a good sign, but I wrote the post in the evening and it's just getting light out, so I don't have an update yet. I feel more hopeful though! Thanks again.

Thanks to all your suggestions, my rooster has passed a lot of poop and is eating well today! We did another bath, used the tweezers, and squirted baby oil in his vent, and presto! Though he's lost weight, he seems very well otherwise, and we think he's out of the woods. Thanks again!!!

That is fantastic news! I'm really happy to hear it! You did a great job working on his problem. He must feel so much better!

I bet he'll put weight back on without too much trouble, now that you have him all fixed up. Just keep an eye on him, until you know everything's all working properly with his digestive system. It's probably still a little messed up.

Yes, you're right; he was plugged up again today and our method was not so successful, at least not right away. I guess we have to keep working at it and hope that he'll get back to normal soon.

Hang in there!

I read through the posts again quickly, and did not see natural yogurt (Dannon, Breyer, etc.) mentioned. In people it helps restore normal flora (bacteria) in the bowel, particularly after a course of antibiotics, but not just in that case, of course. So does buttermilk. Might help.

And, I like to use grated cheese for a protein supplement, which I mentioned, but actually, cheese can be constipating. Maybe other milk/fiber products would be better, like yogurt, powdered milk and oatmeal, etc. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom