Help sexing a 5 week Silver Penciled Rock

elisavet68

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Does anyone on this thread have Silver Penciled rocks and know what distinctive feather patterns or ways to sex a 5 week old? Starting to look to me like a cockerel being so upright:

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that lighter feathering for roos and darker for pullets
I was told by a breeder that roos will have more black on their breasts while pullets will have penciling. I have three right now that I am unsure of. If I go by the penciling then I have at least 2 pullets. The third one is a crapshoot, as she is the runt who barely survived hatch, so while she is really healthy, she is feathering in splotchy.

I was told by a breeder that roos will have more black on their breasts while pullets will have penciling. I have three right now that I am unsure of. If I go by the penciling then I have at least 2 pullets. The third one is a crapshoot, as she is the runt who barely survived hatch, so while she is really healthy, she is feathering in splotchy.
That's interesting. Mine has dark feathers on breast, and is standing suspiciously as a roo. It's now 6 weeks old, how old are yours? and what's the earliest age you think you can definitively sex them?

Does it have anything to do with tail feathers? My silver baby's tail is sticking up... But my partridge baby's tail looks like the one in your picture... Laying down.

Back
Top Bottom