help sexing leghorns ( pullets)

karlamaria

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Western montana
I have 6 1 month old leghorns, some got pink combs real fast, a few are getting pink combs now so I can not tell who is a roo and who is a pullet. one still has a yellow comb. all born the same day. can you help with this please.I posted pics of the ones with real pink combs, some with light pink and some who are just turning pink. One has a huge comb, I need to give the roosters away, but want only girls ( live in the city) thanks

this one is just turning pink

this one is just turning pink

Leghorns typically show quickly who is who. Color at this point I don't think matters, but size. The ones with large combs I would bet to be the boys. We no longer have leghorns, but it was evodent early who were boy and who were girls just based off of the combs.

Good Luck

well the combs are all different sizes. I want to give the boys away, just not sure what are boys. there all growing the combs at different stages, a few of the boys have larger combs and there darer, but all but one have small pink combs ranging in sizes.

Im trying to figure this out so I can give the roosters away. Some have big combs , some have medium combs. Some pinker then others . Only one has no comb yet. They were all born with in hours of each other .

I got this from another web site when my girls were just chic ks and it really helped me out and totally true about the combs:

Q: How can I tell if my juvenile bird is a rooster?
A: Comb size and redness can be one indicator, but is not usually reliable. In fact, it's one of the worst indicators you can use, as comb size varies by breed and even individual. For instance, one of my hens has a larger comb than any of her sisters of the same breed, and a larger comb than any of my roosters, too.

When sexing most juveniles, the best, most fail-safe method is to look at the saddle feathers in front of the tail when
the bird is about 3 months old. By that age, cockerels will have long and pointy saddle feathers, while a hen's will be rounded. This will indicate for sure whether you have a cockerel or a pullet in every breed but Silkies and Sebrights. You will also be able to see long, curving sickle feathers in the tail of the rooster as he gets a little older.

Crowing is a fairly good indicator, but isn't fail-safe, either. Plus, generally speaking, you will be able to tell by feathers much earlier since roosters don't usually begin to crow until they are 4 or 5 months old. However, we have had roosters wait until a little later, and begin a little sooner, too. Plus, hens will occasionally crow, so even crowing doesn't tell you for sure. To reiterate, the BEST way to tell for sure is by looking at physical characteristics that cannot be mistaken, so check feather shape when your birds are about 3 months old, as other indications are not reliable.

For sebrights, the cockerels are "hen-feathered," meaning the males have the same shape feathers as females. For sebrights, comb size and wattle size are about the only easy way to tell. (Campines are hen feathered in other countries, but not usually so in the US.)

I am also having a hard time sexing my leghorn! 8 weeks old this Sunday. Unfortunately we cant keep roosters (we live in an HOA that voted no) I would hate to have to give this one up. Super snuggly and has the best personality.

The comb is large, but not very red..

I am also having a hard time sexing my leghorn! 8 weeks old this Sunday. Unfortunately we cant keep roosters (we live in an HOA that voted no) I would hate to have to give this one up. Super snuggly and has the best personality. The comb is large, but not very red..
looks like a rooster, can you take a pic away for. The sun and sideways? Also a full on pic to see the whole bird?

I have 6 1 month old leghorns, some got pink combs real fast, a few are getting pink combs now so I can not tell who is a roo and who is a pullet. one still has a yellow comb. all born the same day. can you help with this please.I posted pics of the ones with real pink combs, some with light pink and some who are just turning pink. One has a huge comb, I need to give the roosters away, but want only girls ( live in the city) thanks this one is just turning pink this one is just turning pink All my girls were roosters but one.

Back
Top Bottom