Help sexing

Was told one is a silver laced wyndotte and the other a vorwick cross I'm no expert

Wow, beautiful breed! Based on just skimming through pictures of a breed I'm NOT familiar with, I'm going to stick my neck out and say its a pullet... The hackles are too rounded to be cockerel feathers, and the tail is too droopy.... The cockerels I'm looking at have definite saddle colors, where yours doesn't.... Hmmmm...

I'm not 100% though; if it were my bird, I would keep it either way lol ;)

Edit to add: the Wyandotte is indeed a cockerel.

Last edited:
Male specific feathering doesn't begin to develop until about 10 weeks old. And it can take several more weeks for the feathering to be visible.
Wow, beautiful breed! Based on just skimming through pictures of a breed I'm NOT familiar with, I'm going to stick my neck out and say its a pullet... The hackles are too rounded to be cockerel feathers, and the tail is too droopy.... The cockerels I'm looking at have definite saddle colors, where yours doesn't.... Hmmmm...

I'm not 100% though; if it were my bird, I would keep it either way lol
wink.png

Edit to add: the Wyandotte is indeed a cockerel.
The chicks in question are male, due to the comb development. Pullets don't start to turn red in the comb until they are almost ready to lay eggs. 8 to 10 week old chicks are nowhere near being mature enough for eggs.

they're cockerels. Sex feathers, those long pointy pretty hackle and saddle feathers, don't usually start showing up until 12ish weeks, and I've had cockerels as old as 16 weeks that were just getting some obvious sex feathers. So, at this age you're looking at combs and overall coloring. The red, plump combs at 10 weeks screams cockerel. On the buff bird, the darker shading on the wing is also a cockerel sign. Buff colored hens may have a slightly darker collar and tail (like a Colombian pattern), but the shade of buff on the body will be a smooth, even coloring.

Thank you both very much; I figured I was wrong but I wanted to know WHY ha-ha :D

I'm tempted to quit BYC lol, based on now I need some of THOSE too; chicken addiction. :p

Beautiful breed :)

they're cockerels. Sex feathers, those long pointy pretty hackle and saddle feathers, don't usually start showing up until 12ish weeks, and I've had cockerels as old as 16 weeks that were just getting some obvious sex feathers. So, at this age you're looking at combs and overall coloring. The red, plump combs at 10 weeks screams cockerel. On the buff bird, the darker shading on the wing is also a cockerel sign. Buff colored hens may have a slightly darker collar and tail (like a Colombian pattern), but the shade of buff on the body will be a smooth, even coloring.

Agreed.

Assuming they are all the same age, it looks like your Silver Laced Wyandotte (black / white one) is a roo. Not sure about the others based on the age variable, but the others look like hens.

Back
Top Bottom