HELP: shell-less eggs, broken soft shell (in vent), white and foamy diarrhea.

Feb 28, 2018
Hey Friends, I don't have much more to add outside of the title besides the fact that my sweet Spam is clearly not feeling too well and is lethargic. I've found a few odd bits of soft shell that someone had clearly passed in the coop, though I wasn't sure who. Then I found or or two signs that someone passed an egg without a shell. Then 2 days ago I notices Spam's butt was super messy with all kinds of stuff in it. Upon closer inspection, I found little bits of old egg in there and a bit of soft shell hanging out of her vent. I gloved up and slowly extracted it - no obvious discomfort or pain from her - came right out (see picture). Today, I found an odd poop (picture #2) and then saw her pass a similar one (pic 3). She seems off, lethargic, not too active, and upon watcher her for a bit, she went under a bush and sat down and closed her eyes. Her feathers are also kind of ruffled and her head is tucked in. She seems to be drinking water and I put out some grubs and she ate them fine like the others.
egg.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Any idea what to do? I ready that I may want to use a syringe with a water/vinegar mix in her vent just to prevent/take care of any infection bc of the previous egg issue. I did feel her abdomen and it's all soft - doesn't feel like she's egg bound or has any remaining pieces in there. I may also glove and lube up and check to make sure there aren't any other pieces in there but have never tried that (guess now is a good a time as any lol).

Thank you for any advice! I'm not big on using antibiotics or drugs (haven't yet) and would rather stick to more homeopathic if possible. Thanks!!

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_13-47-31.png
    upload_2019-2-26_13-47-31.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
Any idea what to do? I ready that I may want to use a syringe with a water/vinegar mix in her vent just to prevent/take care of any infection bc of the previous egg issue. I did feel her abdomen and it's all soft - doesn't feel like she's egg bound or has any remaining pieces in there. I may also glove and lube up and check to make sure there aren't any other pieces in there but have never tried that (guess now is a good a time as any lol).

Thank you for any advice! I'm not big on using antibiotics or drugs (haven't yet) and would rather stick to more homeopathic if possible. Thanks!!
Can you take her to a vet?

I would not syringe water/vinegar into the vent. Sorry, I understand you want to be homeopathic, but getting her on some antibiotics is what I would do. From your description of her behavior/symptoms and the poop photos, I'm going to take a guess that the contents of the egg was spilled into the oviduct. She will probably have a discharge, but you will want to treat her for infection.
Baytril or Amoxicillin would be good choices for this - your vet can prescribe those or see what they recommend. You can order those online as well if you wish to treat at home.

Give your hen a soaking in warm epsom salts if she is not too lethargic, this may help her expel any more shell membrane if there is any left in there. If she is lethargic - moist heat (steamed up bathroom, heating pad) would be better.

Try to get some fluids into her. Keep us posted.

We figured out that our hen needed a rooster. Have the roosters been covering her? If so, it might be not enough oyster shell. We put caster oil in her vent. She is fine now other than laying little bit to big of an egg. The hen we had inside to take care of my rooster Peep.

Attachments

• Scan0002.jpg
    Scan0002.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 5
We figured out that our hen needed a rooster. Have the roosters been covering her? If so, it might be not enough oyster shell. We put caster oil in her vent. She is fine now other than laying little bit to big of an egg. The hen we had inside to take care of my rooster Peep.
Can you explain this post - how did a rooster help your hen?

She wasn't getting covered in the house, so we brought a rooster in every day to cover her. She never had the egg problem again. It is called egg sack disease.

She wasn't getting covered in the house, so we brought a rooster in every day to cover her. She never had the egg problem again. It is called egg sack disease.
I'm not trying to be mean - but are you Serious?

Egg Sac disease (Omphallitis) is an infection of the yolk sac and/or navel of newly hatched chicks.

A rooster mating a hen has nothing to do with curing Egg Sac Disease, with providing calcium, helping a hen lay eggs or anything else. A rooster does not have an appendage and there is absolutely no penetration during mating. A rooster has nothing to do with any of this at all.

The OP's hen is laying soft shell eggs - this could be due to diet, the reproductive system is malfunctioning or she has a disorder.

Back
Top Bottom