Help! Should I get rid of rooster?

My most aggressive roosters got cooked, the moderate one learned, got kicked off a hen a time or 2., I'd hand my grandkids a pvc pipe when we went to see the chickens on the lot, just in case he forgot. Kids never had to whack him. He's almost 7 years old now and a nice old fellow
I’m glad it worked out for you!! I miss my roo

I have some excellent roosters of various breeds. One thing I think helps is if they are raised within a flock of chickens which includes adults. These boys come up through the ranks so to speak and learn to be respectful of the hens, other youngsters and people and pets.
Cockerels raised with only pullets their own age tend to always be at the top of the pecking order and think that is where they should stay.
This was how mine was raised ( with flock mate pullets) and hand raised with lots of tlc and holding.

Its really a shame b/c I know the feeling when you like a rooster but b/c he has shown aggressive behaviour, you lose that trust. When my grandkids come over the rooster is penned. he is gorgeous and is good with his hens (he's RIR) but I am warchful where he is and where I am b/c I wount even walk in front if him (he jumoed hard on me a couple if times from behind). The thing here is your three year old--he comes first. At first my feeling about your situation is to find him a home but he is likely to show aggression to his new people and flock. If you have someone that can cull him humanely that would be the best thing...at least a good meal. Good luck to you...I am sure there are many goid roosters out there but remember yiu dont need them fir the delicious eggs.
Very sweet reply! It’s hard. But he went to a rooster sanctuary and seems happy there so far!

I have a rooster who is almost a year old now. He started this pecking behaviour at around 6 months old. He has even pecked at my husband a few times. He has also tried pecking at me once. All pecking was while wearing winter coats, so no injuries resulted.

Despite having an electric fence, a fox has gotten into the coop once. We are prone to power outages, so I want a rooster willing to defend the hens. My sweet old roo hid and left the hens to fend for themselves when the fox got in. By contrast, my aggressive roo sounds the alarm when a predatorial bird flies overhead so the hens can run and hide. For this reason we have opted to keep the aggressive boy.

Unfortunately, my 5 year old is nervous around him, so issues between them have escalated. We have tried a number of things to socialize them to no avail. I do not think a young child should be around an aggressive roo. As such, my kids can no longer collect eggs. It was the decision we had to make to keep the kids safe while still having a protective rooster. We do not free range, but have a large run instead, so not an issue to keep them separated. The roo did learn very quickly to leave my husband and I alone.

Despite having an electric fence, a fox has gotten into the coop once. We are prone to power outages, so I want a rooster willing to defend the hens. My sweet old roo hid and left the hens to fend for themselves when the fox got in. By contrast, my aggressive roo sounds the alarm when a predatorial bird flies overhead so the hens can run and hide. For this reason we have opted to keep the aggressive boy.

I haven't found Protection and Aggression to be connected.
Being aggressive towards hens and chicks and being aggressive to humans seem to me to be a lack of intelligence - they misidentify targets.

For a few hours this afternoon I was lounging around in a chair in the backyard with the babies playing around me and our most docile, gentle rooster Clifford under foot keeping watch over them. He doesn't let the hens pick on them, does a body block thing. It works because he's huge. He's also got wicked long curved spurs. But he never gives me a mean eye or pose, so I can totally relax out with his flock.
Yet it was only two weeks ago when he got himself covered with the blood of his enemy, a feral roo. And he's always watching the sky or the woods to keep everyone safe.

*With our 4 other roosters I don't relax this much, but none have ever challenged any humans. That's why they got to stay and enjoy having hens.
Every cockerel that got a mean eye has been removed before they attacked, and some were terribly neglectful of protection / lookout duties.

There are tons of nice roosters out there looking for a home. People show them mercy because they're nice. I'd really like to encourage you to go find one.
Like my mom taught me, Never settle for aholes :cool:

I haven't found Protection and Aggression to be connected.
Being aggressive towards hens and chicks and being aggressive to humans seem to me to be a lack of intelligence - they misidentify targets.

For a few hours this afternoon I was lounging around in a chair in the backyard with the babies playing around me and our most docile, gentle rooster Clifford under foot keeping watch over them. He doesn't let the hens pick on them, does a body block thing. It works because he's huge. He's also got wicked long curved spurs. But he never gives me a mean eye or pose, so I can totally relax out with his flock.
Yet it was only two weeks ago when he got himself covered with the blood of his enemy, a feral roo. And he's always watching the sky or the woods to keep everyone safe.

*With our 4 other roosters I don't relax this much, but none have ever challenged any humans. That's why they got to stay and enjoy having hens.
Every cockerel that got a mean eye has been removed before they attacked, and some were terribly neglectful of protection / lookout duties.

There are tons of nice roosters out there looking for a home. People show them mercy because they're nice. I'd really like to encourage you to go find one.
Like my mom taught me, Never settle for aholes :cool:
You’re mom is very wise!
I’m hoping to find a nice roo one day too.

My observations have also lead me to believe aggression towards humans is due to lack of intelligence. I even have an Old English Game bantam rooster who is not aggressive toward humans. He will even jump up and perch on my shoulder if I capture and hold his favorite hen, just to keep and eye on things. I've had other roosters who would attack me if I wore a different colored hat... once I had a replacement they went into the freezer.

My observations have also lead me to believe aggression towards humans is due to lack of intelligence.
This agrees with what I have found.
My fav rooster always thought about everything when he was a cockerel.
He was proud, and a bit festy, but he thought about it; 'is it worth my time to attack a person? why would I want to? they have never hurt me, so I can't really see any reason to?'
He has grown in to a lovely chap, very alert, he doesn't miss anything, but he is the best with me and the rest of the family.
And his sons take after him!

I need your help! I have a 5 month old Brahma cockerel who has been displaying some usual signs of dominance. He dances up to me and my 3 year old. He has pecked me when I’ve been to close and just recently ran up to my kid and pecked him. I also noticed he attacked one of my hens and left a wound and she’s scared to come out of run for free range time which never happens. Weird thing is, I pick him up All the time and he always seems so easy going and nice! Generally, he is nice and fun. I really wanted to work with him and try to do anything to keep him. I’ve been trying to show him who is boss, thinking that will help. But now that he has focused in on my kid, who never bothered him before, I’m worried. It was a peck but will it get worse or can I stop it from escalating? I called a rooster sanctuary that will take him but We are devastated about it. I wish I could manage him. Should I try to work with the bird and keep my kid away? Or re home? Thank you. It’s so complicated. My kid comes first. Period. Even my kid is sad about it. Did I do anything wrong raising this rooster? Can I change anything to make it better? Is this a super aggressive bird? Would you keep him?
Give it your best shot… Then if he continues to peck your child and be mean to the hens cull or give him away…. I am making all efforts to cull bad behavior in roosters! 🐓🐔

Back
Top Bottom