HELP sick bird, acting sleepy

Porterfive

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Collinsville, MS
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with one of my silver laced Wyandottes?
She is about 10months old, perfectly healthy and has been laying, as far as I know.
She was asleep on the ground while the others all walked around her and stayed sleeping while I picked her up. All the wyandottes normally won't tolerate being held or touched.
One of her pupils is large and one tiny and she constantly closes her eyes as if she want to sleep.
I have seperated her from the others in a crate for now.
Can anyone help?
Thank you.
Very worried Mum, Jenny

Is she still eating and drinking? I've had 3 of my girls do this in the last 4 months. 1 lived and the other 2 didnt'. My first hen was acting sleepy for about a week and then I separated her and began tube feeding her. She perked up within 2 days. My second hen I think was just too far gone. My third hen died just after we had tube fed her. I'm still puzzled as to what they could have gotten sick from. We have narrowed it down to Coccidiosis, but they never had blood in their stool. Just make sure they are still getting food into their system. I'm sure that my last 2 hens died because I didn't get to them in time. I first hen instantly showed signs of getting better once we had tubed her.

it's possible she has heat stroke..
can you bring her into some air conditioned room?

use cool damp cloths on her legs..
give her some electrolytes..if you don't have a commercial mix...you can give a little Pedialyte.
if she's unable to drink..give drops on beak..

if she perks up..give her some vitamins and make sure she is hydrated..

coccidiosis doesn't always show blood in the droppings..
sometimes it's caramel color, and even other colors..
there are different kinds of cocci..in different parts of the digestive track...effects the color of the droppings.

Last edited:
It sounds like she is suffering from the heat. AC and plenty of water sounds best.

Was it hot outside? Did she have constant access to shade and water? At any point did you have to refill the waterer because it was dry(or very dirty)?

-Kim

Thanks for your replies so far.
It is very hot outside, an average daily temp of 95 degrees. They all have access to plenty of water and shade and have two large fans running. I would have an a/c unit in the coop but budget and hubby wouldn't allow that lol:)
She is still in the house in a crate, just the same as yesterday.
She is cool and comfortable, she isn't interested in food or water, I will try and syringe a few drops in her mouth to see if she will take that.
Her eyes are still closed and she has moments when she will open them, stand up and look around but close them again just as quick.
I am really concerned abut her pupils, one is tiny the other is all the way open, don't think that is a good sign, I know it's not in humans.
Thanks again for any advice.
Jenny

I'm thinking the same..could she have injured her head or been pecked hard?

don't syringe water into her mouth..it could go to the lungs..give water by drops on beak, unless you have a crop tube.

Back
Top Bottom