Help. Sick chick

dds3

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
We got 12 two week old buckeye chicks on Saturday. One died today after appearing to have respiratory distress and sleeping a lot. This chick seemed to be fine about 2:00 pm and died about 6:00. Now we have a second chick doing the same thing. We had two with pasty butt Saturday afternoon after we got home the one in distress now was one of the two. Not sure about the other that died this afternoon.

Any one have suggestions or recommendations? All the other chick seem to be doing fine. This one and the other seem to be smaller than the others. Attached is a picture of the one in distress now. Breathing heavily, eyes closed and as close as possible to the heat lamp.

Thanks for your assistance.

Darrell

Thanks for your response. We really don't have any meds as we are new to chickens. The Hatchery folks said to add a little gatoraid to her water and make sure to get her to drink every hour or so. Does she need to be separated from the other chicks?

Thanks

Is there a tractor supply near by? If so, I'd invest in some save-a-chick in the future. Gatorade works, because it gives electrolytes, but save-a-chick also has vitamins in it. I wouldn't worry about separating unless the other chicks are picking on it, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom