Help! Sick chick.

bswieter

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Croton, MI
Hello,
I have a 7 week old buff silkie chick.
It is in my bath tub with pine shavings and newspaper.
I feed natures grown organic non- medicated chick feed.
I give them grit and ASV in their water.
There are 4 other silkies all a few weeks older but they are healthy and show no sigh s of problems.
So I woke up this morning and Muffins(the sick chick) was laying down and appeared to be sleeping but didn't get up when I came in to feed. So I picked her up and she is limp and breathing heavy. I had noticed she was sleepy the last few days but nothing abnormal. She would get up and eat and drink. The only thing I found strange was yesterday I was holding Muffins and when I turned her on her back to look at her feet, her head slumped back, and water ran out her mouth. I turned her back over and she snapped out of it and seemed fine. I found it a little wired because it has never happened before but she seemed fine so I kind of brushed it off. Her vent is fine, but she did have some yellow watery stool after I separated her, while she was laying down. Her stool wasn't foamy though either. I can't get her to drink or eat and her crop is empty. I have no clue what it is or if my other silkies are in danger of getting what muffins has. Any one have any ideas? Thank you.

That sounds bad. I do think your chick may be passing. So sorry to hear that and it does happen with chicks. Often, you never find out what's wrong. Isolating the chick was a good idea.

Are the other chicks okay this morning? I think I would go get some Corid (amprollium) and start it just in case. Coccidiosis can kill fast because once they start showing symptoms, they will stop eating and drinking soon. It may not have been cocci that killed your chick, but having the Corid at home to start would make me feel better. Symptoms of coccdidiosis are lethargy, diarrhea (sometimes, but not always bloody,) poor appetite, huddling or puffing up, and ruffled feathers. Corid dosage is 2 tsp liquid or 1.5 tsp powder in a gallon of water for 5-7 days. Give vitamins and probiotics after the end of treatment. Sorry for your loss.

Ok, I'm going to get some of the Corid to start the other chicks on today, just to be safe. They all seem very normal though. No signs or symptoms in them, they are very happy and perky. Muffins seemed a lot sleepier than the rest for a week or so, I just thought she was growing or something. Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx
This is what to look for--it's a cattle medicine. There is also a brand called Ampromed. And you're welcome.

Unfortunately Muffins passed a little while ago. But I did pick up some Corid in powder form at the local tractor supply for $19.99. I've started the rest of my chicks on it and completely sanitized the brooder and put new bedding down. I also gave them all baths in vinegar water to remove any poo they may have had on them. Thank you all so much for the help.

I had the same problem yesterday with a day old chick he also sadly passed

Back
Top Bottom