Help! Sick Chicken

denisewilf

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I have a year and a half old chicken. Thursday morning I noticed she wasn't moving around as usual.She started making a girl fling noise and had discharge. In this area, many chickens are getting sick. People say because of the rain, they are getting bronchitis. I put Vet RX on her and started antibiotics with all my chickens. Some were sneezing. So far, they seem ok. If has been 3 days and she is not eating and I am giving her water every 30 minutes. She just stands are lies down. Does anyone have suggestions or experienced this? Is there chance for recovery at this point? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi denisewilf and welcome to BYC. Sorry you are having problems with your chickens being sick. I'd suggest that you repost this under Emergencies, diseases/ accidents and cures. Lots of knowledgeable folks there.

If it is a virus, an antibiotic isn't going to do much more then protect your birds from secondary infections. If it is a virus, it will have to run it's course, if it is a bacterial infection, the antibiotics should do the trick along with your supportive care. Fluids are important. I would try offering your sick girl some soft food such as scrambled eggs. Even a few nibbles will help her.

We have been lucky where we live. It's been wet but thankfully my only 'sick' bird was a rooster with laryngitis. Viral in nature, ran its course in 4 days and thankfully he was the only sick one.

Hope your birds improve for you. Sounds like you are doing all you can for them right now.

Back
Top Bottom