Help, sick duck?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
This morning I noticed beige color diarrhea from my year old duck. The shell of the egg she layed this morning, you can press on it and it just bends inward but does not break. This morning I noticed she dug out a nest and layed her egg in it, there were feathers in the nest also, I figured she might of been laying on the egg and broke the egg (from just looking at the egg it looked like it had just a dent) but I picked it up and like I said, can press on the sides and it goes inward but does not break. Also the egg has an awful smell

Last night I gave her cabbage, not cooked. but I have given it to her before and she has been fine.

Also, in the morning she sometimes gets into my pigs food, could that effect her this way?

Last edited:
In order to vent sex ducklings you need to apply pressure to the outside of the vent in such a way that it pushes the internal sexual organs of the duck out through the vent so they are visible. I'll let you imagine all the ways that inexperience could harm a duckling while doing this.

In order to vent sex ducklings you need to apply pressure to the outside of the vent in such a way that it pushes the internal sexual organs of the duck out through the vent so they are visible. I'll let you imagine all the ways that inexperience could harm a duckling while doing this.

Exactly.....thanks for responding......

Your also a great source for Duck info......

Cheers!

Last edited:
It is risky and no need to question Miss Lydia that way......She always has fantastic advise.....

Cheers!

Exactly.....thanks for responding......

Your also a great source for Duck info......

Cheers!

I didn't mean for my question to come off rude, if it did. I was honestly just asking

I will wait until they are older and can tell by other things (feathers, quack etc..)

Last edited:
I didn't think it was rude at all, sorry if my response came off as rude as well.. I wanted to chime in with some info about what's involved, since I can't answer precisely the "what could go wrong" question.

I didn't think it was rude at all, sorry if my response came off as rude as well.. I wanted to chime in with some info about what's involved, since I can't answer precisely the "what could go wrong" question.

Oh okay. No you didn't come off as rude. thank you for the info, like I said, I'll wait until they're older, I don't want to risk hurting them.

This morning I noticed beige color diarrhea from my year old duck. The shell of the egg she layed this morning, you can press on it and it just bends inward but does not break. This morning I noticed she dug out a nest and layed her egg in it, there were feathers in the nest also, I figured she might of been laying on the egg and broke the egg (from just looking at the egg it looked like it had just a dent) but I picked it up and like I said, can press on the sides and it goes inward but does not break. Also the egg has an awful smell

Last night I gave her cabbage, not cooked. but I have given it to her before and she has been fine.

Also, in the morning she sometimes gets into my pigs food, could that effect her this way?

I don't know whats in pigs food but I doubt it's made for water fowl. The foods they eat does affect the smell and color of their eggs and poop. Are you giving her layer and or oyster shell too? Sometimes they will lay soft shell no shell and quite a few other oddities this is normal it's when they keep happening there is concern. She sounds a little broody too if she has feathers in her nest unless she is in molt.

I don't know whats in pigs food but I doubt it's made for water fowl.  The foods they eat does affect the smell and color of their eggs and poop.  Are you giving her layer and or oyster shell too? Sometimes they will lay soft shell no shell and quite a few other oddities  this is normal it's when they keep happening there is concern. She sounds a little broody too if she has feathers in her nest unless she is in molt.

I give her layer feed, no oyster shells. She's not molting.

I've never seen her dig out a nest and lay an egg in it before, I'm hoping for her to go broody sometime this year. Though she was not laying on the egg when I went and let her out.

I just hope she's not sick or something, she acts perfectly fine though. Definitely going to keep her away from the pig food

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom