MaddyP0607

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
Hi there, I'm definitely needing some help from anyone and everyone right now. I'm very concerned over my 5 year old Jumbo Pekin Cracker, as she came out of the coop this morning with her 3 year old sister and has been acting very weird. She's had a little limp for a bit now but today it seems like she's off balanced and can't really walk on her own. I've attached some pictures and a video of her walking to show what it's like. I've never seen her act like this before and am worried if she is eggbound or if there's something seriously wrong. I also got a picture of the bottom of one of her feet to show what they look like in case it's a case of bumblefoot. Any help would be great, and I can provide tons of extra info!

Attachments

• 20240426_174251.jpg
    20240426_174251.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240426_174150.jpg
    20240426_174150.jpg
    882.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm sorry no one has responded to your post.

I don't know much about ducks, but hopefully someone can offer some suggestions.

@Miss Lydia @Liz Birdlover

Tell us what you feed, do you provide supplements like Brewer's Yeast or extra Niacin?

Is it possible to share a video of her walking? That may be helpful too.

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

I hope she feels better soon.

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to attach a youtube link of her walking to try and maybe get some other peoples advice on what it may be. She seems alert still, drinking and eating and it looked like she laid an egg this morning so i dont believe shes egg bound. Ive been supplementing in small amounts of niacin and using vetricyn spray on her feet and attempting to wrap them when she sleeps at night.

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to attach a youtube link of her walking to try and maybe get some other peoples advice on what it may be. She seems alert still, drinking and eating and it looked like she laid an egg this morning so i dont believe shes egg bound. Ive been supplementing in small amounts of niacin and using vetricyn spray on her feet and attempting to wrap them when she sleeps at night.
I believe my pekin duck did that a year or two ago. I don’t remember if she was egg pound or not but I gave her an Epson salts bath and I believe that helped her for a while. Don’t let her drink the epson salts water though.

I believe my pekin duck did that a year or two ago. I don’t remember if she was egg pound or not but I gave her an Epson salts bath and I believe that helped her for a while. Don’t let her drink the epson salts water though.
I tried doing that with her yesterday, she drank a couple sips and I took her out before it got any further because I know she'd keep drinking it. I don't know if her poop is also any indicator but it's very runny, and slightly green, and just now there's a pile of white liquid by her butt as she sits on the patio. She's still mucking, drinking, and quacking so I know she's alert and responsive. How many times should I do the epsom salt bath for her?

I tried doing that with her yesterday, she drank a couple sips and I took her out before it got any further because I know she'd keep drinking it. I don't know if her poop is also any indicator but it's very runny, and slightly green, and just now there's a pile of white liquid by her butt as she sits on the patio. She's still mucking, drinking, and quacking so I know she's alert and responsive. How many times should I do the epsom salt bath for her?
Do you have a picture of her poop?

Don't wrap her feet.

What exactly has she been eating daily?

If you ever think your duck is egg-bound you need to have Calcium gluconate on hand TSC carries it and it is one of the best things to use when egg-bound. 1 ml to start with.

I don't see a bumble on her foot. I would also get Liquid B Complex and start her on it ASAP. It may be a niacin issue Pekins can have them it seems at any time of their lives many keep them on niacin all their lives. The liquid B Complex works very well to help them get over a niacin deficiency 1ml daily it can be given over a small amount of Treat. Both the Calcium gluconate shouldn't be added to their drinking water becasue it dilutes it too much they need this orally straight. I'd try both of these and see if they help, That's about all we can do is try what we can unless you have a good vet who knows poultry. While treating her keep her from overdoing so she doesn't make her legs worse, and if weather permits and she can safely get in and out of a pool this is another way to take weight off her legs and help build up muscles.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/.This gives info on how to give liquid meds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303 This will give you dose for Cal Glu

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ this will give you dose for your duck.

Do you keep out Oyster shells? what do you feed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom