Sick hen, eggbound? Or respiratory issue maybe??

Abbycollie

Hatching
Feb 25, 2024
Hey yall, I have a flock of 8 chickens that are about 8 months old and have just started laying. The other day I noticed one of them was laying down in a coop a bit lethargic but was fine when I went to get a closer look. Well today when I let them free range a bit I noticed the same hen being very standoffish. She was also only putting pressure on one foot so I knew something was wrong. She doesn’t have any cuts or scratches so that wasn’t the problem but after I picked her up and tried sitting her down she completely lost her balance. I took her in and gave her a bath thinking maybe she was eggbound- pulsating vent and droopy wings and tails. That didn’t really do anything but I’ve been keeping an eye on her all afternoon. She just started panting for air and is standing with her eyes closed. I try ought maybe heat or stress so I gave her honey water. She’s had a really big poop since then but still isn’t laying down.

To recap issues: lethargic hen that is having labored breathing and inconsistent but large poops. She’s also standing with droopy wings and closed eyelids.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. I don’t wanna lose another chicken in my flock

If you need pictures or videos I can absolutely send them. Thanks for the help in advance

Welcome To BYC

What do you feed including treats?
Do you provide Oyster Shell free choice?

I'd start with giving her Extra Calcium for a couple of days if you feel she's struggling with her first egg.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

I'd work on hydration, get some electrolytes into her and see if she will eat for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Back
Top Bottom