HELP......! Sick Ducks

AddictedToQuack

In the Brooder
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hello,

I have 7 ducklings at 5 weeks of age; 2 pekins, 1 cayuga and 4 welsh harlequins.

On Friday night one of the hen welshies separated herself from the flock. She was weak, listless, head hung low, not vocal, gaping mouth, green diarrhoea and no appetite. We isolated her from the flock. On Saturday morning there was no improvement. Fearing death, I contacted the vet and they said to get her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. I picked up some oxi-tetracyclene and mixed it up in her water. I put some down her throat to make sure she got some and was somewhat hydrated. She now does seem somewhat better; she's drinking the medicated water and eating very little. She does seem more alert two days into the drugs.

This morning one of my pekins is showing the same symptoms. She was fine when I put them in their duck house last night. We have now isolated her.

These ducks were on proper duck starter and now on a duck grower. The first duck got sick before the switch so I think we can rule out the food. they have access to grass and a pond. They swim in the pond quite a bit and eat all sort of stuff out of it. I'm not sure if this is an issue. the dog drinks out of the pond all the time with no ill effects.

All of the ducks feces is greenish I am assuming b/c of all the plants they are eating.

Any thoughts? I am worried for everyone.

Thanks a million...

Chris.

Update.

The pekin just died and my wife just found one of the other welsh harlequins dead on the pond. This thing is moving quick. Grrrrrr..........
sad.png

Chris.

If there's no emergency number for the vet, I would seriously consider getting everyone on antibiotic. There could be a bacterium from the pond or other part of their environment that is affecting them.

Depending on the history of the pond and area where you are, it could be a virus or bacterium. One possible bacterium would be erysipelas, though that is not common in ducks it does occur.

There's also Pasteurella. If it's P. anatipestifer, Storey's Guide states that

If caught early, a single injection of a combination of penicillin and streptomycin sulfaquinoxaline in the feed or water normally reduces losses.

Streptococcus is another bacterium that responds to antibiotics.

For viruses, immune support is possibly about all you can do.

Ducklings outdoors can also get infected with protozoans from the bites of black flies. How's the black fly situation there? If it's noticeable, I would bring them back inside and plot my next move.

Last edited:
Hey Amiga,

Not many black flies but definately mosquitoes.

Pond is fairly clean. I contacted the poultry place and they thought it may be from something they ingested; toxic plant or bacterium of some sort. They did recommend that I put them all on the oxi and keep them off the pond for several weeks. Clean water, clean bedding and keep my fingers crossed. My wife just called and the others may already be sick and she can't get them off the pond. I may not have birds left by the time I get home.

Thanks again.

Update.

The pekin died and we lost two welshie ducks as well. The original Welsh duck that got sick is doing better. The 4 remaining are in the duck house with medicated water and food. They were all alert this morning when I left. We shall see what happens over the day. It was an overwhelming day yesterday.

Thanks for letting me vent and the advice.

Chris.

Update.

The pekin died and we lost two welshie ducks as well. The original Welsh duck that got sick is doing better. The 4 remaining are in the duck house with medicated water and food. They were all alert this morning when I left. We shall see what happens over the day. It was an overwhelming day yesterday.

Thanks for letting me vent and the advice.

Chris.
I'm so sorry for you loss, Hope the others pull through
fl.gif

The other four ducks are still alive. It is very discouraging as we got the ducks to be on the pond to help with mosquito control and aquatic plant control. If we can't put the ducks on the pond what is the point in having them really? If I have to have them penned in all the time so the can't get on the pond I might as well get chickens..!
hu.gif

Does anyone know of any aquatic/semi-aquatic plants that are toxic to domestic ducks. I have not done a full inventory of the plant species around my pond but perhaps we can develop a list if one does not exist. Of course I can't rule out a bacteria issue either. This gives me a starting place and may prove useful for everyone down the road.

Later, Chris.

Chris,

Your ducklings are five weeks old. They are babies. When they are adult, fully feathered, things will be different. Our ducks are out and about, they handle the mosquito and black fly population that is normal for our area just fine. My ducks' immune systems have developed. They don't have tender skin exposed. They were in the brooder till they were ready to be outdoors.

In a few months, Lord willing, your ducklings will be ducks, and much better able to manage the various challenges to their health that the outdoors presents. In the meantime, they need all the care you can give them to help them grow up strong.

Ducklings bring their own kind of joy to a household. It is a very very brief time. Then they will be grown up, and we hope, around for years to enjoy.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom