HELP! Sick Hen! Dont know what to do!!

Crystal-Chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2015
a few days ago my white sussex chicken Essy started to to a bit of gulping. It has gotten worse since.

This morning she could barely get off her perch and looked like she had something stuck in her throat.

I've talked to vets in the past and they said gapeworm doesnt exist in Australia. Besides, she isnt gasping for her, just gulping.

Her crop is soft and mushy, more than usual and a little bit big, and she drinks a lot of water and eats a lot of dirt.

I've smelt her beak in case it's sour crop, and her beak smells like chicken poo but worse,

but it's not a huge stench and it might be nothing, so because she doesnt stink - maybe it's not sour crop, but what else could it be?

Her comb is also a bit purple-blue.

i tried giving her some vegetable oil with a syringe, it didnt seem to help much.

I want to take her to the vet but my family doesn't have a lot of money and they'd prefer not to go if they don't have to...

pls help

Update: The problem does seem to be sour/impacted crop. We just changed their feed to a different sort of grain, and that seems to have caused the problem. This site was very helpful in determining this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...site&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

We stopped giving her the grain and the vet gave us a does of Bactrium, that also has an antibiotic in it. We syringe it down her throat twice a day for 5 days. Today is the fifth day and I havent seen her gulp for a while! Her comb is normal and her crop is normal size, but still slightly mushy-er than usual.

Thankyou to Teila, who may just have saved my chickens' life if it wasn't for the helpful site she gave me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom