Help! Sick or broody?

novicechickiemama

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2023
My lady is 22 weeks, an olive egger. Her first egg was Aug. 14. Since yesterday she’s stayed in one of our nesting boxes unless I remove access and none of our other 3 birds have done this (and bird in question is only one who’s started laying). We’ve been in a heat wave, which broke today. This seems like broody to my new chicken mama self, but her comb (while red) has been droopy for a few days. I’ve tried to kick her out of the nesting box whenever I can, but tonight she just went right back in (and I can’t block them when they’re in coop overnight). She did lay an egg today, definitely ate and I think had a bit to drink although we were out most of the day. Should I try frozen water bottle in the nesting boxes? Cool water bath in the morning so she can air out during the day? Illness? If you’ve read this far I am so incredibly grateful!!!! Pics were taken today
IMG_1102.jpeg
IMG_1102.jpeg
IMG_1100.jpeg
IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg

Hmm.. seems broody. I have a chicken who had these symptoms too, but she is now fine. Do your chickens have cool shade areas? My chickens spend their days resting in cool shaded areas to escape the Florida sun. Plus I put their water in the shade and occasionally add an ice cube. Btw beautiful pictures. She's pretty.

Broodies may pull any eggs set in front of them under them. They will pull out their chest feathers to sit on eggs, so look for a broody patch. They cluck and may peck at you when you disturb them. When removed from a nest they may go grab a bite to eat and then run back to the nest.

Hmm.. seems broody. I have a chicken who had these symptoms too, but she is now fine. Do your chickens have cool shade areas? My chickens spend their days resting in cool shaded areas to escape the Florida sun. Plus I put their water in the shade and occasionally add an ice cube. Btw beautiful pictures. She's pretty.
Thank you, she’s the sweetest too! Yes, their coop is fully in the shade and the occasional times they’re free ranging it’s 90% shade. I’ve been stealing the massive ice balls my husband uses for drinking bourbon to put in the girls’ water 😆

Broodies may pull any eggs set in front of them under them. They will pull out their chest feathers to sit on eggs, so look for a broody patch. They cluck and may peck at you when you disturb them. When removed from a nest they may go grab a bite to eat and then run back to the nest.
Thank you for this super helpful info! It looks like she is picking, when I look underneath? And the nesting box she’s taken up has her chest feathers all over. What’s the best course of action to break this cycle?
IMG_1113.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom