Help!!!! Silkie With Vent Prolapse!!

erinolivia19

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
Hi, I am speaking on behalf of a friend who needs help. She has a 6 month old silkie with a vent prolapse. We were able to get the egg out of the membrane but we can’t seem to put the intestines back inside of her. We have put her in a warm epsom salt bath and put lubricator on it to help but still no progress. There’s about an inch of intestines hanging out of her and every time we try to push it in it falls out or she pushes it out herself. She has been like this for about 2 days and are we would hate to euthanize her. If anyone has tips that would be great. Specifically any tips on pushing the membrane in completely and getting it to stay. Thank you.

I had a white leg horn that this happened to. I used preparation H and stuck everything back into her. I eventually had to put her to sleep, but she lasted 6 months. She developed vent gleet and it just never went away even though the prolapse improved. I had to keep her seperate the whole time from the other chickens for fear they would peck at her. So sorry as it's so sad to see our pet birds suffer :(

I am not knowledgeable about this type of problem, so I can only say that I wish your friend luck and hope that the silkie is able to get better. :) Also, a picture or two might be useful, if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom