Help! Slow crop, lethargic, and not eating

I would address the crop symptom and see if you can get it to start emptying. This article will walk you through treatments.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you, I am addressing the crop issue. She is eating and drinking and a bit more active. Today is day 3 of giving her safeguard, and I found this parasite in her poop. I attached a pic. Can you let me know what type of parasite this is? I need to treat the entire flock in this case, but two of mine are molting, so does that mean I cannot give Safeguard to them??? Those two also seem less active than usual. Should I give ivermectin (easily accessible) or Valbazen? If Valbazen, where can I get it?

Attachments

• tempImageHFous0.png
    tempImageHFous0.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
That's a roundworm. The Safeguard will take care of that. I wouldn't use Ivermectin since it seems to have lost some of its effectiveness.

Dose for Safeguard is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

If the others a bit droopy, then treating them would be a good idea. Since they are in molt, Safeguard is known to affect feather quality in molting birds, so Valbazen is a better choice.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

You can find Valbazen online. If you have a TSC, you can order online through them and pick up at the store or have it delivered, etc.
Or you can order through places like Valley Vet.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

That's a roundworm. The Safeguard will take care of that. I wouldn't use Ivermectin since it seems to have lost some of its effectiveness.

Dose for Safeguard is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

If the others a bit droopy, then treating them would be a good idea. Since they are in molt, Safeguard is known to affect feather quality in molting birds, so Valbazen is a better choice.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

You can find Valbazen online. If you have a TSC, you can order online through them and pick up at the store or have it delivered, etc.
Or you can order through places like Valley Vet.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07949-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5
Thank you. I got Valbazen from my TSC. I saw someone recommend on another thread to give it in the morning before food when their system is empty, since it'll work better, but I don't want to wait until tomorrow morning, since I found another one a little bit lethargic/ slower than usual. Is it fine to give Valbazen at their bedtime, when their crop is full? That's when I'll get home.

It should be fine to give at night.

I'm sorry you're having such problems, hopefully deworming will make a difference.
So my wyandotte finished her parasite medication days, and a few days ago her crop was empty in the morning. However, for the past 2-3 days she still has food in her crop in the morning. It isn't hard; I can move it, and it's not liquid. No strong order from her mouth. I've been giving her massages. Her poops have been less smelly, and she is eating and drinking.

But she is breathing with her mouth open now. Her breathing is very labored and faster than usual. Here is a video:

Is that a respiratory problem?

Also I attached a picture of a poop from today. They were firmer a few days ago, but are more liquidly now.

I believe she also injured one of her leg, and has trouble walking a little.

Attachments

• tempImage0KhRUl.png
    tempImage0KhRUl.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sounds like stridor which is when they get food/water and/or mucous in the airway.
If her crop is not emptying and its fluid filled she may be aspirating some fluids.

Another possibility is if she's got fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs - do you feel any swelling or bloat there?

Her crop looks a bit pendulous in the video, you may need to try a bra if the crop issue doesn't resolve.

Sounds like stridor which is when they get food/water and/or mucous in the airway.
If her crop is not emptying and its fluid filled she may be aspirating some fluids.

Another possibility is if she's got fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs - do you feel any swelling or bloat there?

Her crop looks a bit pendulous in the video, you may need to try a bra if the crop issue doesn't resolve.
She did get food into her airway around 4 days ago and sneezed very strongly a few times. She was eating damp feed by herself, which she always eats that. But after that she seemed normal. Maybe that caused the stridor? What can I do to treat this?

I don't feel any swelling or bloat between her legs. And I will see if I can get a crop bra on her.

How long has she been making the noise? Usually with Stridor, it will resolve on its own within a few hours to a day.
for the past 2 nights when I put her to bed, she was breathing with her mouth open a little, and I offered her water and she was better. None during the day in the past few days. But today there was, like in the video, and her breathing is even more labored at night when I put her to bed tonight.
She is in the garage in a fenced area where she can walk around, and I take her outside in the garden too during the day. I remove all of her poops and keep her area clean a few times per day.

Back
Top Bottom