HELP!!! Something is killing my chickens 😭😭

jen61871

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
An animal has attacked and killed some of my chickens three times in one week!
the first attack it killed 5 chickens. We moved the surviving 5 to two different coops. Then a few nights ago we heard commotion in the big coop and ran out and there was one dead chicken and we thought maybe she was trampled in the confusion. Didn't see anything. Shut the coop back up and the next morning three more chickens were dead. It had come back. I called the game commission and we went out and bought 2 traps. We are pretty sure it's a weasel. It's biting off their heads, sometimes piling then and ripping out their entrails.
We checked and fixed EVERYTHING we could see and looked so hard to stop it from getting in.
this morning I went out and could see a little bit of a chicken coming out from the bottom of the coop door. Such TINY space!! I glanced in the windows and saw some bodies. But I don't know how many. I can't open the door. I have to wait until my honey comes home from work. I let the live ones out.
It has been suggested that I get cameras but I absolutely can NOT go out there to death even one more morning 😭😭😭😭
anybody have any suggestions?

I have heard that using urine of other animals (coyotes, foxes, etc) around the yard will fool the predator into thinking that it’s another’s territory and will stay away. I’ve never tried it, but I don’t have weasels where I live so I’m not sure if that would work for them, it may be worth a shot though.

I have heard that using urine of other animals (coyotes, foxes, etc) around the yard will fool the predator into thinking that it’s another’s territory and will stay away. I’ve never tried it, but I don’t have weasels where I live so I’m not sure if that would work for them, it may be worth a shot though.
It's animal urine something you can buy?

Yes, you can purchase it on Amazon or they may even sell it at farm supply stores…but, like I said, I’ve never used it before so I’m not entirely sure where would be the best place to get it.

Last edited:
An animal has attacked and killed some of my chickens three times in one week!
the first attack it killed 5 chickens. We moved the surviving 5 to two different coops. Then a few nights ago we heard commotion in the big coop and ran out and there was one dead chicken and we thought maybe she was trampled in the confusion. Didn't see anything. Shut the coop back up and the next morning three more chickens were dead. It had come back. I called the game commission and we went out and bought 2 traps. We are pretty sure it's a weasel. It's biting off their heads, sometimes piling then and ripping out their entrails.
We checked and fixed EVERYTHING we could see and looked so hard to stop it from getting in.
this morning I went out and could see a little bit of a chicken coming out from the bottom of the coop door. Such TINY space!! I glanced in the windows and saw some bodies. But I don't know how many. I can't open the door. I have to wait until my honey comes home from work. I let the live ones out.
It has been suggested that I get cameras but I absolutely can NOT go out there to death even one more morning 😭😭😭😭
anybody have any suggestions?
This just happened to me Wednesday night I come out yesterday to the coop to see my rooster had fought hard for his hens (his beautiful feathers everywhere) but sadly one didn’t make it! She was half drugg through the fence with head gone and split open/ 😭 which she was the queen of the pen and his fav! So I’m upset and walking around the pen with my heart heavy and look in a part of coop that has a small room off the side which was open, and saw a dang coon under one of the extra nesting boxes!!! I tried Cornering him in to trap him and fig something out ,but he ran up the side and got out! I think my rooster had him pen’s in!!!All my hens and Jim (my rooster) have been extremely sad. There is definitely a different vibe in my coop and it has me sad too. I have eight chicks I’m tryna get raised to add to the the flock . I only have three hens now. It may be a coon also!! Had I not seen this one I wouldn’t have known!! Hope everything turns out good!

This just happened to me Wednesday night I come out yesterday to the coop to see my rooster had fought hard for his hens (his beautiful feathers everywhere) but sadly one didn’t make it! She was half drugg through the fence with head gone and split open/ 😭 which she was the queen of the pen and his fav! So I’m upset and walking around the pen with my heart heavy and look in a part of coop that has a small room off the side which was open, and saw a dang coon under one of the extra nesting boxes!!! I tried Cornering him in to trap him and fig something out ,but he ran up the side and got out! I think my rooster had him pen’s in!!!All my hens and Jim (my rooster) have been extremely sad. There is definitely a different vibe in my coop and it has me sad too. I have eight chicks I’m tryna get raised to add to the the flock . I only have three hens now. It may be a coon also!! Had I not seen this one I wouldn’t have known!! Hope everything turns out good!
I'm so sorry. It's difficult isn't it? I cannot bear the thought of even going to open them tomorrow morning. I just can't see it again. 😩
So the raccoon was still in the coop in the daytime? I asked a friend if I could borrow a raccoon trap but haven't heard back from him yet.
Whatever it is chewed through the bottom of the coop door my honey said when he got home. Five dead.
We don't know whether to leave the coop open so the chickens at least have a chance to run away or not tonight?

I'm sorry about your birds.
Can you post pictures of your coop so we can figure out how it's getting in? Sounds like coon or possum
I second this. I had a racoon issue for a week and a half (once we realized what it was, it was solved, but we were out of state when it started unfortunately), and the devastation was unimaginable.

I'm so sorry. It's difficult isn't it? I cannot bear the thought of even going to open them tomorrow morning. I just can't see it again. 😩
So the raccoon was still in the coop in the daytime? I asked a friend if I could borrow a raccoon trap but haven't heard back from him yet.
Whatever it is chewed through the bottom of the coop door my honey said when he got home. Five dead.
We don't know whether to leave the coop open so the chickens at least have a chance to run away or not tonight?
Do you have a scheels within driving distance?

Back
Top Bottom