HELP ..sometjing is wrong with my two yr old chicken

Sharon Bee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Ontario
I haven't posted here for awhile because all was going well with my 9 chickens.

But one white has had a droopy rearend for a few months now. She was acting ok though and eating well. But last two days she is sitting down a lot. Her poor rearend is drooping like a bag beneath the vent.

What is it and is there anything i can do? It must be hurting her now as her tail is being held down as well.

Sorry to hear about your hen.

It sounds like it could be Ascetis or water belly, which is when the liver stops functioning due to heart failure and hypertension. It causes the liver to go bad and start leaking fluids into the belly. It is pretty common in laying hens that lay a lot of eggs and are getting older.

I don't know if there is a cure or not, but I hope she gets better!

She is just sitting. The abdomen is hanging and I lifted it and it's heavy. It seems like a hernia. Poor thing. I went into the carriage house/coop and there was a pile of white feathers! The others must have attacked her. She was hiding under the stairs to the loft.

She is now in a straw filled box and in our garage. At least she's comfortable. I have a little container of food and water in there. She's drinking but not eating.

Should i put aspirin in the water?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't know what to do, but I have heard you can give aspirin to chickens and it shouldn't hurt her, so I would give it a try, to take the pain away.

Hope she feels better.

Well she is still sitting in her box. Drinking a little but not moving. I just wish there was something I could do for her. I wish a vet could look at her but my vet doesn't look at farm animals. It just seems like that swollen thing should be taken out. Maybe an infected egg is caught inside.

Back
Top Bottom