help! structure/landscape to minimize the noise?

Gen9

Songster
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
NC
Hi, I was wanting to know if there are any recommended structures/shrubs we could use to help minimize the noise from the chickens... I am waking up early now so I can let them out to keep them from squawking. One morning, they were so loud, they woke me up (can hear them through our closed windows!). They aren't laying eggs yet (next month they will), but I'm afraid that it will get much worse. I am in city limits, my coop is about 75ft from each neighbor's house (4 neighbors) 3 of them know I have chickens, don't mind, but I'm afraid one of them (a retired couple) will start to complain. I just want to be a good neighbor, and not have any complaints. Say we build another coop, I can keep the "windows" open at night, then at sunrise, close them all up until they are done laying eggs in the morning, would that be okay? Oh, and just found out that one of my Polish Crested turned out to be a roo, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep him, or even find someone who will take him. Our municipal code says we can have chickens just as long as they don't make obnoxious noises or smells, but our covenant (which is from 1980) said no poultry or livestock -please help! I don't want to lose my babies
sad.png

Hmm, if you have a CC&R (covenants, codes and restrictions) that does not allow poultry you might have it rough. Does this mean you have a HOA in your specific area of the county? Most of the time sound dissipates the further it travels. I can hear my chickens squawking in front of my house, and on one side, but not on the other. So, there's a good chance your other neighbors won't hear your girls. The rooster will definitely make things worse though if you are already in violation. It might be good to get rid of him before you get a noise complaint. Good luck!

Thanks for responding, no we don't have HOA, our neighborhood is about 30 years old, we have a 4ft. chain link fence on that side where I'm afraid the noise will travel, but we do plan on building a 6ft privacy fence (since we have that on both sides of the house), I was thinking if we maybe plant some shrubs or bamboo on that side it will help with the noise, also wanting to sound proof the coop (but I will have to build an entirely new coop for that). I was also thinking we could put it on wheels and just wheel it in the garage at night, keep them in there til late morning.

Bamboo?
ep.gif
That stuff will take on a life of it's own. I'm spraying about every 2 weeks now trying to kill it. I hate the stuff. Maybe you could just change you sleep times. Get up when the chickens do. I do and it really ain't that bad. Me and the rooster crow together, but he's a little louder.

Your neighbors would probably hate you for the bamboo more than the chickens!!! Why not keep a dozen eggs always ready and when they come ovver to complain say, oh here I almost forgot, I got too many and been meaning to bring these over- or better yet, take them over to the nearest housse first - if they take the eggs, you're in!

My neighbors can't hear my chickens over the howling of my 6 Siberian Huskies :)

For privacy and sound deadening, I go with Norway Spruce. They are fast growing and dense. I tried yews, juniper, and boxwood but the deer decided they were too yummy to pass by. They leave the Norways alone.

We're not technically allowed to have chickens either, but we live in the country its just our specific street. But there's nobody or nothing to enforce the rules, so we're taking our chances. We've cleared it with all the direct neighbors and 2 houses around the corner have chickens (but they're not in the neighborhood).
But we do have a wall of trees all the way around the coop, trees were already there though. Not sure how much it will help with the noise since they aren't really making too much noise yet. But you can't even see the coop.
Here's what it looks like from 3 sides.
025-2.jpg

024-3.jpg

023-2.jpg

Why don't you drop by the neighbors you're concerned about and ask them if your chicken early morning noises are bothering them. My father-in-law takes out his hearing aid every night and can't even hear the phone ring without it. You may be stressing about something that isn't even a problem. Plus, if you are proactive, going to them before they get their dander up enough to come to you it will establish the kind of relationship that will help if it does become a problem.

Many people...well me anyway...have to wait until they're really angry to march over to their neighbors and complain about something and by then they've already spent days muttering curses and shaking their fists. If you speak with them and ask them to let you know right away if the noise is a problem they won't let themselves get worked up.

Back
Top Bottom