Help! Sudden chicken flock death!

CBormann

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
I dont know whats wrong with my birds. Recently they have all been dying. They have red welts all over their faces, their eyes are messed up, and they have almost like a seizure before they die.. does anyone know whats going on?

yes it is a serius case of fowl pox
and as soon as you noticed it you should have vaccinated the whole flock except the sick ones for fowl pox

now all you can do is hope they can get over it

I always fed them some neomycin in their water as a help for the infection in their lungs
also fed the
wet mash probiotic
2 qts dry crumbles
3-1/2 qts of milk
1/2 cup of yoguart
and add some good vit's to the wet mash each time you give it to them
whilethey are sick feed this with vit's once a day
when they eat it in 20-30 minutes
clean the wet feeders and restock the dry crumble
it takes them several weeks to recover and the inflamation in their system is what kills them

we always when living in iowa vaccinated every thing for fowl pos in august as it was warm enough for them at night
and the fowl pox which is caused by mosquitos are bad in fall in Iowa
we even vaccinated the chicks. As the flock gets small dose of the fowl pox when vaccinating so they need to be all vaccinated once a yr

email me for more info

we just noticed last night that 7 of the birds were dead and almost 10 more have died today. we have never had this issue before and we thought it was simple dehydration because last night when we gave them water they all went nuts and its been very warm. also though they run around and into things like they are blind and i watched one have a seizure before dying

Sounds like Fowl Pox. Are the sores in the mouth too? If so it's Wet Pox and you'll need to clean the airways so they don't suffocate. The seizures are odd though... my guess is that they are oxygen deprived from the sores closing the airway and thus lose control in their final moments. Suffocation is never pleasant. Good luck! They will recover on their own in about 3 weeks, but there are a few rememdies that will help. I don't know them off the top of my head though. Survivors are permanently immune.

if it is fowl pox.. is it possible for me to get it if i get bit by the mosquitos in the hen house or anything like that?

IM not much help but IM sorry this is happening !
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom