HELP! Swollen Frostbitten Roo!!! *PICS!* Not eating/drinking!!!

Good luck with your handsome boy!

Do NOT give him garlic (or onions) as tiki244 advised. They lyse (rupture) chickens red blood cells and cause anemia (which your Roo does not need either). The same goes with cats & dogs: NO garlic NO onion!!!

I will agree with the others Silkie 07. I, like Morel, have been dealing with frostbite for awhile now and it doesnt look anything like that. Even at its worst, it wasnt that swollen.
Here is Ralphie, just after I put triple anti biotic ointment on him.
Pdr_1095.jpg

and here is my ROO with his frostbite
Pdr_1011.jpg

Do what the others tell you. Oh, and I agree with Morel on the cost of a vet bill as compared to the cost of a chicken, sad to say but true.

Last edited:
Are his wattles hot to the touch? That would certainly denote an infection... I would contact dlhunicorn and see what she knows about this...

Quote:
I'll have to ask my mother's opinion on this, since this is her rooster. We have three of their eggs in the incubator that are due out on the 28th, so if we have to cull him, maybe we will get a baby boy out of the three eggs.

I took eggs from my roo too, in case he gets infection and has to be culled. Almost his whole comb is black...and will probably fall off eventually. His wattles are very swollen and frostbitten as well. I've had him in the house for the past three days (on extra vitamins/ACV and cinnamon and putting bag balm on his comb) trying to see if he will get better. He also has something going on with his foot...but that isn't related to the frostbite. He is still eating and drinking fine though, so i am going to give him a chance to pull through before I decide whether or not to cull him. My birds are not pets, they are livestock, so taking one to the vet is *not* an option. It just doesn't make any sense to me to pay a $200 vet bill on a $7 rooster:>)

I talked with my mother and she is willing to pay for a vet visit/checkup, but not if this injury requires a major operation of some sort. Louie is a treasured pet to us, but if culling means putting him out of his pain, that's gonna be our decision.

Quote:
I was thinking about contacting her. She helped me immensely when my silkie Diamond was attacked, so I'll PM her and see what she thinks.

I forgot to add.... his wattles are hot to the touch. It feels like he has a fever in his wattles.
sad.png

He definately has an infection. Terrimycin and aureomycin will NOT work. Those are more for respiratory. He will need penicillian at the very least. If he is not going to the vet, I would get to TSC or a feed store and pick up penicillian ASAP. Keep him inside as you dont want this area refreezing. That poor boy is probably in alot of pain right now. Asprin water will help with that. I would not cull just for this infection, it is related to the frostbite.

Quote:
So no garlic or onion? Okay, thanks so much for the info about that!

That would be my advice also.
My immediate guess would be fowl cholera/[pasteurillosis) see here (there is also a photo > click on it to bring up larger version)... I would go with PenG if your feed store has that (injection) or lacking that a sulfa (sulfadimethoxine is less hard on the birds system) ...
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202600.htm
stop giving the bird aspirin... it does little therapeutically and is hard on its system.

I never said anything about onions.
roll.png
I always give mine garlic when they are sick to fight infection, has been recommended on here a lot of times by others that have raised chickens for years.. Pen Aqueos (penicillin) solution is good to give. 1/2 cc twice a day in the breast muscle.

Glad that you can go to the vet though.

Back
Top Bottom