Help, the electricity went out!!

Spore

Songster
10 Years
Dec 5, 2009
Oregon
I find this is almost a daily thread title, someone lost electricity during incubation. Instead of coming here looking for hugs and words of support I am looking for genuine answers on how we can avoid this situation. So, my fellow BYC, what would you do BEFORE the electricity goes out to keep the incubator warm.

(to clarify, my electricity has not gone out, nor do I want it to, but I want to plan, just in case).

I think there is something you can plug into your cigarette lighter that you can plug your bator into, or an extension cord through the window, to the bator.

Also, I would get a PILE of blankets ready. and even a propane stove you could warm water on a camp stove and set the incubator over a big, deep pan of warm water that you keep adding hot water to from the camp stove as the heat dissipates upward to gently warm the incubator... That would be EXTREME effort to keep the eggs warm. Just depends what kind of eggs and how BADLY you NEED to hatch those eggs I guess....

Hmm, what about those handwarmers hunters use. Maybe get some of those and lay them on the eggs.

Plug an inverter into your car and run an extension cord. You'll have to run the car every so often to keep the battery charged.

h539xp175p-f.jpeg

Quote:
Right , but you have to make to sure you have one on hand that has a sustained wattage rating above whatever watts your 'bator draws . Usually the larger peak or surge rating will be in big print as sales bait ; and the smaller sustained rating will be in smaller print LOL .

edt: That's a great a pic above my post . Inside that part that goes into your cigarette lighter there should be a fuse . If you draw too many amps it will blow , so its best to have some extra fuses on hand .

Last edited:
Do you have a wood stove going? If so you will probably survive it , move everything next to stove and watch temps, on a taller table.. IF NOT...Borrow , or buy a generator, gas powered for such occasions, run the generator outside only! It will work everyone here has one as an in case of ice storm prep. Beg borrow but dont steal one and you will have it in a pinch, always keep a big can of gas for it...do you have a small solar charger and
We have solar panels converters and battery banks but its still a work in progress, buying in bits and peices. And a wind tower and grundfos water pump , when power out you got no water after your tank runs out, no power to pump the water out, wind tower will be doing that for us., again a work in progress..

Solar panel will run 18 in TV, easily run an incubator with converter and battery to store even low light input...

Kerosene heater? Not my fav but hey anything to keep you and them warm..

Last edited:
A small generator is the best answer. The only other way is to place containers of hot water in the bator. You will need to have a number of jars with lids to do this. Place the heated water in the bator. You will need to do this until the power comes back on. Not something I would want to do, but it would work. Now you want to talk about temp spikes, you will have them. but if the water is heated to about 105 and changed as it gets to about 100 it will work. No sleep until the power is back.

Quote:
Yes, the one pictured will power any of the table top models which are typically less than 50 watts. If you're trying to run a Sportsman or a similar cabinet model, then you'll need one that hooks directly to the car battery, as the cigarette lighter socket cannot handle more than 200 watts or so. Once you're in that price range, you may as well get a small generator. I've been seeing small, Chinese made, 1000 watt generators around the DIY stores for around $100-$150. 1000 watts could run a large incubator, a brooder lamp, plus a few lamps in your house while you're at it.

Back
Top Bottom