Help! Tried to help duckling hatch.

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Hey. So out of 13 eggs 12 hatched. We have one stragglers left. It's day 29 and it externally pipped at least 48 hrs ago and then 24hrs ago started making a bigger hole. The membrane was looking very brown and dry so I was advised to peel the shell back a bit. As soon as I saw blood I stopped but now I'm worried I hurt him. He's still alive as of right now.

Should I just wait it out? I'm headed out for the day so won't be able to check on him. Will he be OK In there?

Attachments

• 20230511_120051.jpg
    20230511_120051.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 34
Ducklings always take longer to hatch. Leave the duckling alone. The duckling shouldn't be shrink-wrapped if the temperature and humidity are at their correct levels, and if the incubator has been closed, since lockdown. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to the duckling's membrane. If there are still thick, dark, visible blood vessels, then the duckling still has to absorb everything and needs some more time. Sometime's ducklings pip too early and need more time. because of the shape of their beak, it takes longer for them to hatch, compared to a chick.

Back
Top Bottom