Help! Tried to move a Guinea nest, couldn't catch the hen

gardenknitter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
She got away as we tried to catch her on the nest, but I really thought we'd get her so I went ahead and moved the eggs. But then we weren't able to catch her, it got dark and she was up a tree and didn't come down. Have kept them warm, thinking we'd catch her today and maybe they'd still have a chance. I don't think it is going to happen though. Should I get an incubator and try or do you think it is too late for these eggs? She had been sitting on the nest for a couple of days. I have kept them around 99 degrees and kept them turned, but I doubt the humidity has been enough. They have been in the house for about 18 hours now. And I have never hatched eggs before. I feel terrible.
sad.png
Hindsight 20/20...I would not have moved the eggs until we had her completely secured.

Good luck in moving any guinea and her eggs. It is nearly impossible, although I have read where its been done. I was able to move a nest and catch the hen...but she never sat on them again.

I would set the incubator and go from there. I am sure the eggs are still fine.

I have lost a few hens while setting. They will simply not leave the nest and get dragged off and killed, then the eggs get eaten too. DH is going to build a wire cage with posts that can be staked into the ground, hopefully we can cover the hen/nest so that she will be protected.

Thank you both!! Kuntry...yes, she was in an unsafe area. Critters getting her was a risk, but also she made her nest on the creek bank and flooding would have taken her and the nest out. We thought about building an enclosure to put over her, but the flooding stopped that plan. She did just sit there and get poured and stormed on though! Dedicated little boogers!
smile.png
I think I will run and get an incubator and give it a shot...I guess they'll either hatch or they won't. But I don't think catching her is an option, plus I wondered if she would still sit on them once moved. Thanks again so much!

Rooster is right on all of it. I've thought of building a bottomless cage you can stake into the ground for mine too. The last one was protected by a hot wire, but when they were a couple of days old she tried to move them and got all the way (about a block) down the hill and the males started attacking them. Had to take them away. It was heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom