Help! Troublesome Drake Muscovy.

Laineyy

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2018
I have been having trouble with one of my Male Muscovy, his name is Miracle (we though he was a girl but the name stuck). I have 2 full grown males, 1 full grown female, 3 females that are about 3-4 months old, and 3 baby ducks. Miracle is about 5 months old, he has almost all of his carbuncles (little red things on his face). I had another full grown female but she sadly passed away of natural causes.

My main alpha Drake is Donald and he is a sweetheart and keeps a close eye on all the girls and make sure everything is good. But Miracle has picked a fight with Donald (Miracle's Dad) and has also become very violent to my fully grown female, she is missing a lot of feathers so we caged him up and got some medicine for the female.

We let him back out a few days later and everything was fine. But then he started to chase our geese and seemed like he was trying to mate with them. It got so bad the geese are scared to go in the water. We caged him up again.

Well my Mom let him back out today and he flew (We clipped his feathers but I'm scared to cut anymore) into the fended in pen where I have the 5 week old duck. He attacked one of the babies and he has some feathers missing. I pretty sure he is a male just because of his size.

Is there anything I can do to try to calm this duck down? Has anyone ever had problems like this?
I really do love this duck and want to keep him but if he keeps picking fights with everyone and being violent I do not see how I can. I will try anything at this point

I have been having trouble with one of my Male Muscovy, his name is Miracle (we though he was a girl but the name stuck). I have 2 full grown males, 1 full grown female, 3 females that are about 3-4 months old, and 3 baby ducks. Miracle is about 5 months old, he has almost all of his carbuncles (little red things on his face). I had another full grown female but she sadly passed away of natural causes.

My main alpha Drake is Donald and he is a sweetheart and keeps a close eye on all the girls and make sure everything is good. But Miracle has picked a fight with Donald (Miracle's Dad) and has also become very violent to my fully grown female, she is missing a lot of feathers so we caged him up and got some medicine for the female.

We let him back out a few days later and everything was fine. But then he started to chase our geese and seemed like he was trying to mate with them. It got so bad the geese are scared to go in the water. We caged him up again.

Well my Mom let him back out today and he flew (We clipped his feathers but I'm scared to cut anymore) into the fended in pen where I have the 5 week old duck. He attacked one of the babies and he has some feathers missing. I pretty sure he is a male just because of his size.

Is there anything I can do to try to calm this duck down? Has anyone ever had problems like this?
I really do love this duck and want to keep him but if he keeps picking fights with everyone and being violent I do not see how I can. I will try anything at this point
You have to cull or rehome him. You have too many Drakes anyway.

He might just be unaccustomed to them you could try putting him in his cage near the others so he gets used to being around them without having to come into direct contact if you try that for several days and then let him out it might go better. I hope it goes well :)

He will fight for Dominance I have never been able to have any of my Muscovy drakes live together peacefully they have always had to be separated with their own females and I have had muscovy since 2004. Last 2 yrs I have only had 1 Muscovy drake and a world of peacefulliness except he doesn’t like the geese and is constantly trying to run them off but that to will end shortly when hormones begin to wane. Best you can do is set up your property to keep the drakes separated with their own females. It’s a pain but the only way it will work if you want harmony. My drakes would even fight through fencing so I had to put up a solid fence to keep them from fighting :rolleyes:

From early fall till March peace reigns here geese are over breeding season ducks are through well Runners not so much but they stick to themselves, even during winter all my birds want to sleep in the same house and all is well. Muscovy ‘s are awesome birds but boy they can be a handful too. lol

Back
Top Bottom